Chapter 20

Ryder's P.O.V

"Why do we have so much homework?" Connor asks, groaning and sitting up from where he was lying on his stomach reading a textbook.

"Because we're in high school. There's always more work to be done." Claudia says.

"Too much if I do say so myself." Elliot adds in. We all nod in agreement except for Kara who still has her nose buried in her work. The rest of us get back to work and are working for a while until Kara's phone starts ringing.

She answers it and the conversation is brief.

She hangs up then closes her books and stands up.

"Where're you going?" I ask her.

"Doc wants me and I've finished my homework so I'm going there now. I'll be back soon." She says, smiling and heading out the door.

We continue working until I finish my homework.

"I'm going to go and find Kara." I say, standing up.

I head towards the hospital wing but stop in view of the door when I see Kara outside talking to the doctor. Kara goes pale and looks like she's going to fall over. But she's not trying to stay up, she's just continuously shaking her head.

I sprint over and catch her just before she falls. I hold her tightly against myself and feel my shirt becoming wet. I look down and see Kara's crying into my shirt.

I wrap my arms more securely around her so I'm holding all her weight. She grips onto my shirt and continues crying into it. It doesn't take much to guess why she's crying. I decide to carry her back to her room so she can have some privacy.

I slip my arm under her knees and my other arm under her lower back. She buries her face in my shoulder and I start walking to her room. As I walk in the door the others look up and quickly stand up when they see me carrying Kara. I shake my head lightly and they all take the hint and pack up their books and leave.

I carry Kara over to her bed and lay her down on it and pull up the blankets. I kneel down beside her and hold her hand.

"I'm sorry Kara. I'm so so sorry." I say quietly.

"They're gone." She says, in a rough voice with tears still streaming down her cheeks.

"I know. I'm sorry." I say.

"Don't be sorry." She says, shaking her head.

There's silence before I break it. "You should get some sleep." I say.

"I can't. I have to go and make funeral arrangements and my coronation ceremony." She says, wiping her tears and sitting up.

"That can wait until tomorrow. Or the next day." I tell her, easing her back down again.

"No I need to be doing something. I can't just sit here." She says.

"You can and you will. You need time to grieve and so do the remainder of your pack" I say.

She sighs and nods. I stand up to leave but Kara's croaky voice stops me.

"Ryder?"

"Yea?" I ask turning around.

"Can you please stay with me?" She asks quietly.

I smile at her and nod.

I lay down beside her and she turns to look at me.

We stare at each other until she falls asleep then I stand up and walk over to her large window. The vast forests stretch out around the house.

I hear the door open and I turn to see Elliot, Claudia and Connor standing outside the door. I walk over to them and we all step outside of the room. I make sure to shut the door behind us.

"What happened? Is she okay?" They ask.

"The Alpha and Luna died earlier today. That's why the doctor called." I say, leaning against the wall.

"Oh god." Claudia says, covering her mouth.

"She's sleeping for know but you know her. As soon as she wakes up she will want to start making arrangements." I tell them, folding my arms.

"We can't let her do that. She needs to grieve." Connor says.

"He's right though. She won't even pause." Elliot says.

"So what can we do?" Claudia says.

"Help her but not push her. We need to not make her stop doing what she wants but lighten the load." I tell them.

They nod.

"For now let's go and get some dinner. We can talk about this more while we eat." Elliot says.

We all agree and walk downstairs and into the kitchen.

We talk a little about how we can help Kara with the planning and other things that will be happening in the next few days. After that we all head off to our own rooms. I go into my room and pull out my unfinished homework

********************

Hi guys. Sorry this chapters a little short. The next one will be longer because it will be in Kara's P.O.V. What'd you guys think of this chapter? I found it kind of sad to write. Write and comment what you'd like in the next chapter. Vote and Comment. Thanks x