Chapter 11

I'd like to say that Daryl and I got together that night, but I'd be lying. We sat there on his bed, talking until the early hours of the morning. We talked about everything from our favorite musicians to our favorite foods. It was nice to talk to someone. It seemed we both needed it.

I slept all morning and got up around noon. I was covered up, laying on his bed. I must've fallen asleep while we were talking. I got up, and found my clean clothes were lying on the other bed. I hoped that Carol hadn't come in and seen us lying in the same bed.

When I was changed, I went back down the hall to the dining area. Carol, Shane, Glenn, T-Dog, Andrea, Rick, Carl, Lori, and Daryl were all sitting around the table. I sat down in between Daryl and Carol.

A pot of soup sat in the middle of the table, and I helped myself to a large helping. I sat down and grabbed a roll from a basket in front of my bowl. I started to dig in when I noticed that I was receiving stares from most of the people around the room.

"Can I help you?" I demanded. Most people averted their eyes, but Shane stared me down.

"Hear you and that lousy redneck were sleeping together last night," Shane said. I chocked on my food a little. I looked around the table and everyone seemed to be glaring at Shane, except for Carol, who was looking at her hands folded in her lap in shame. I shook my head angrily.

"I know you wouldn't do that, though," Shane continued. "I mean, what would a college educated woman like you want with a backwards hick like him?"

"It's none of your business what I do, Shane," I spat.

"So you are together?" he asked.

"Shane, you need to knock it off," Rick warned.

"I just asked a simple question," Shane said, faking innocence.

"That simple question was way out of line," Lori insisted.

"You guys can't honestly blame me, can you?" Shane asked the rest of the group. I felt Daryl stand, then watched him stalk out of the room.

"You are the biggest dick I have ever met in my entire life!" I practically screamed at him. "If you must know, Daryl and I did not have sex last night. Let me repeat that just in case your stupid ass couldn't comprehend that. Daryl. And. I. Did. Not. Sleep. Together. Last. Night," I bit out through my teeth.

"So then why were you in his bed this morning?" Shane asked, his eyes mocking.

"He and I- we-" I stuttered out, mostly from anger, but also from not exactly knowing what to say.

"Spit it out," Shane said with a smirk across his face.

"I fell asleep there this morning after talking to him until almost 3 am. Is that a good enough answer for you?" I snapped.

"It's a nice story and all, but I think we all know what happened," Shane said triumphantly.

I grabbed my bowl and rolls and stalked from the room. I could hear Rick say something to Shane, but I wasn't listening. My blood was boiling, and I could hear it pumping in my ears. I wanted to kill Shane. He was the dumbest bastard I had ever met. I couldn't stand him.

I opened the door slowly, peering in the room. Daryl was lying on his bed with his back to the door. I set my soup on the bedside stand and went to sit in front of him. He scowled up at me as I did so. "What did I do?" I demanded.

"Shane was right. Why are you here?" he spit.

I shook my head in disbelief. "What, do you think I can just walk outside and pick any man I want? I want a guy who won't try to devour me on the first date," I said. He cracked a small smile. "They see a dumbass redneck, but I see so much more than that. A man who has overcome so much in life. A man who has good taste in music, who doesn't give a rat's ass what anyone thinks about him. A man who is a fierce bad ass but also has a soft side. I see you for who you really are."

He sat up and cupped my face in his hands, pulling it towards me. He kissed me, really kissed me, more passion than seemed possible sweeping over me. It wasn't anything like the little pecks on the lips we had exchanged before. I kissed him back, just as passionate as he was. He rolled over me, then began to pull my shirt up over my head. I stopped him, pulling back from the kiss.

"Are you sure?" I asked him. He nodded. We began kissing again, and he pulled my shirt off. I broke away again, and he looked at me like I was crazy.

"What?" he growled.

"I think I am going to enjoy this afternoon much better than yesterday's," I teased, then returned to kissing him.

Okay, call me crazy. Maybe I was. All I know is that I didn't ever feel as much at home as I seemed to in Daryl's arms. We layed there, wrapped in sheets, our arms around each other. His fingertips ran up and down my bare spine, making me shiver.

We layed there for hours. I only got up after I heard Daryl's stomach rumble. "I'll see if dinner is ready," I said, getting up and pulling on my clothes.

I exited my room and walked down the hall to peak inside the rec room. There was no one there, but I noticed the complete series of Harry Potter on one of the shelves, so I went over and grabbed the first book. I turned around and ran into a solid mass. I looked up, and to my horror, there stood Shane.

"Hey there, bea-U-tE-ful," he slurred. He was definitely drunk. I tried to push my way past him, but he caged me with his arms against the wall.

"Let me go Shane!" I said, but he only came closer. He buried his face in my neck, kissing it. I could smell the liquor on his breath. It was enough to make me want to vomit.

He moved his mouth to mine, and I pushed against his chest, but he wouldn't budge. The more I tried to push him away, the harder he pressed himself against me, until it was everything just to breathe. I finally gave up, my hands limp at my sides, tears streaming down my face.

"Get off of her you bastard!" I heard  a familiar voice yell. It was Daryl. He pulled Shane off of me.

"You can have her," he said cockily. "She fights too much."

That was enough for me. I ran back down the hall to my room, opening the door and then slamming it and locking it behind me. I ran into the bathroom and turned the shower on full blast hot, getting in despite it burning my skin. I sat in there, crying, letting the water run over me.

When it all ran out, I changed into sweats and a t-shirt, then crawled into my bed.

More crying came. I just couldn't control it. Every time I stopped, the feeling of Shane forcing himself upon me brought the tears right back.

Someone banged on the door, and when I didn't answer, they used a key to open the door. I sighed, wiping my tears. I expected it to be Daryl, but instead it was Rick. He sat at the end of my bed.

"Rosaline?" he asked.

"Yes?" I managed to croak out.

"What happened in the rec room? You ran out and then we had to pull Daryl off Shane so he would stop beating his ass," Rick told me.

That made me feel a little better. I was glad that Shane got a taste of his own medicine.

"I can't help you if you don't tell me what happened," Rick reasoned, placing his hand on my leg. I flinched away. He sighed. "He put his hands on you?" he asked.

"Yes," I said through my tears. Rick nodded.

"I'm going to take care of this," Rick said. I shook my head in acknowledgement.

A few minutes later, the door opened. I flinched as I heard it creak on the hinges. "How are you feeling?" Daryl asked, sitting on the end of my bed. I shook my head. He understood I wanted to be left alone. He left, and I fell into a haunted dream.