Chapter 45

The cry of a baby woke me from my peaceful slumber. I honestly had no clue why there was a baby in my cabin. I stretched, reaching for Daryl, but finding nothing but blankets and pillows. I sighed. I could feel a bit of sunlight coming through the window and that meant morning. As much as I didn't want to get up I was curious to see what was going on.

I sat up, taking in my surroundings. Daryl's dirty clothes were laying on the floor, which meant that he had changed and was up for the day. I got out of the bed and walked over to my pile of clean clothes, choosing a cool tank top and a pair of jeans. It was getting cooler out but those hot Georgia summers were still lingering.

I made my way down the hall to the living room, but before I could get two feet in, I stopped in my tracks. Daryl was sitting on the loveseat, his back to me, Leslie resting on his shoulder, crying. It was definitely a hungry cry.

Seeing Leslie hadn't surprised me. It was seeing Daryl holding Leslie and trying to comfort her that made me stop. It would've been a Kodak moment, if we could've developed the film. Shaking my head, as if trying to shake the shock away, I stepped further into the room and stood in front of Daryl.

"She woke you?" he asked.

I nodded. "But it was time to get up anyway," I told him.

"Sorry about her. I should've never told Rick I'd be up. Bastard brought her over at first light with a bag full of diapers and formula and told me I had to watch her until Lori got up and came to get her. She was fine for a while but now she won't shut up," Daryl said.

"She's hungry," I told him. "Give her here and you can go make her a bottle."

"Me? I don't know how to do that," Daryl told me.

"Today's a perfect day to learn then, right?" I asked him. He grumbled under his breath but then stood and offered Leslie to me.

"What do I do?" Daryl demanded. I sat on the couch and smirked up at him.

"Grabbing a bottle and some formula would be a nice start," I teased. He huffed, then turned and grabbed both items from the diaper bag on the island that separated the kitchen from the living room.

"Now what?" he asked, his hands full of baby items. I fought the urge to laugh, and instead my smirk became wider. Leslie continued to cry.

"Fill the bottle to 6 and add three scoops of formula. Then put your finger over the nipple and shake it until everything is mixed properly," I instructed him. He shot me a look and then sighed, doing as I instructed. I chuckled. It was a bit fun watching him squirm.

He came back a little while later with the bottle, and attempted to hand it to me. "Nope. You're feeding her. I have to make us breakfast. Unless you don't want to eat," I said to him.

"Give her here," he growled, and I broke, I finally began to laugh. He scowled.

I handed him Leslie and then went into the kitchen. I found the oatmeal that I had been planning on making for myself the other day before but had never gotten around to. I put some water, and a pinch of salt in a pan and then set it on the gas stove to boil. Meanwhile, I found some brown sugar, applesauce, regular sugar, and some syrup. With a lack of available milk, we would have to make do with what I could find. And it seemed that everything here was pretty stocked. And we still had a lot of our own food too.

When the water began to boil, I poured in the oatmeal and began to mix it. It wasn't long until it was finished, and then I poured both Daryl and I a bowl, leaving a bit for Lilly, if she was even in here to begin with.

I set Daryl's bowl on the island and peered out to him. He had Leslie in his arms and was still feeding her the bottle. She wasn't resisting, she was laying there, content to have a bottle. It brought a genuine smile to my face.

"Breakfast is ready," I told him.

"Alright. I'll be there in a sec. She's almost finished," he told me. I smiled to myself.

I grabbed my own bowl and added applesauce and sugar to it. I ate it that way all the time as a kid. It didn't bother me to do it now.

I went into the living room and sat next to Daryl. "She's so sweet," I said.

"When she's not wailing," he said in agreement. I cracked up again.

"You want me to take her so you can eat?" I asked him. He shrugged.

"I'll be fine," he told me. I nodded. Secretly, I think he liked the fact that he was doing good for someone else.

We sat in silence for a moment, the only sounds being Leslie drinking and the occasional clink of my spoon against the bowl. I finished my oatmeal just as Daryl finished feeding her, so he handed her over so I could burp her.

Daryl ate in silence, and I continued to burp Leslie. After a bit I just rocked her in my arms, and she fell asleep.

Daryl got up and took both of our bowls to the sink and then came back and sat next to me. "It's a shame you could never be a mom," he said to me. "You have a way with kids."

I sighed and nodded. "I would've liked a baby girl. But then again, sometimes taking care of myself is hard enough," I admitted. "Besides, in this world, I'm glad I never had kids. Because then they'd either have to watch me die or I'd have watch them die. And I don't think I could do that."

Daryl nodded. "She is a cute little thing."

"Her mother must have been a very pretty woman," I agreed. I sighed, then gestured for Daryl to take Leslie from me. "I'm going to check on Lori. See if everything is all right. If they need anything," I told Daryl. He nodded.

I pulled my boots on and then opened the door and made my way outside. I rounded the corner of the cabin and heard a gun cock in front of me. "Hey there sweetheart, got a place for me to stay?"

Hello readers! I am getting excited! New things are happening!

Let me just say, thank you to @Harrys_Curlz for the bazillion comments that I received! You have no idea how much that means to me! It was a lot of work replying to all of them, but I love a challenge! Besides, I love reading your reactions because they're pretty awesome. :-)

www.teespring.com/seany2 CALLING ALL SEAN CLARK GIRLS!!!!  For those of you who know who Sean Clark is here is a shirt that my friend designed if anyone is interested! One of them is gonna be given to him personally by her if she gets the minimum order of 10 by the 8th! So please don't tell him!! Shirts are $17 plus $3.85 (I'm not sure how much it is outside of USA but they can be shipped there!!) She need 10 reserved by the 8th!! It would mean a lot to her if you would order one! 

So, what do you guys think of the chapter? I personally, had a lot of fun making Daryl squirm. I'd been planning this chapter out for a while. But I want to hear your thoughts! Who did Rosaline run into outside the cabin? Are they friend or foe? Do you think she knows them? Let me know in the comments!

And, as always, don't forget to vote, comment, and fan!