Chapter 34

Once again, I fell asleep in during the truck ride. It wasn't until I felt myself being lifted from the truck seat that I realized we had stopped. My eyes blinked open and I took in my surroundings. We were parked in a small clearing in the woods, a dirt path leading to where we were. Our tent was set up in the middle of the clearing. Daryl must've set up the tent while I was asleep.

When he realized I was awake, he set me down. "Why didn't you wake me? I could've helped put up the tent," I told him. He shook his head.

"You need your rest," he replied.

He set me down at the mouth of the tent. "Get your rest. I'll keep watch," he instructed.

I shook my head. i could tell he was tired; he had dark purple bags under his eyes and he was being awfully quiet. "I'll keep watch. I have your pistol. Besides, you look like you're going to pass out any minute," I told him.

"I can't let you stay out here by yourself," Daryl insisted, even though I could tell that he really wanted to take my offer.

"I'll be fine, I promise," I said, pushing him towards the tent.

"Thanks," he said, looking awfully grateful. "But if something happens, you wake me up. Don't try to fight anything by yourself. Get me," he instructed. I nodded and pushed him towards the tent once again.

He went inside and laid down. I perched myself on a fallen tree, straining my ears and my eyes to make sure nothing was coming and that we were safe.

The sun started to sink into the horizon. It was going down earlier and earlier. That could've been potentially problematic. We would've had less time to gather water and hunt for food, and then finish daily chores like cooking and general house keeping. But I knew we'd make do. Daryl was smart when it came to surviving, and with the two of us together, I knew we'd make do. It wouldn't always be easy, but I knew we'd survive.

There was a cracking behind me in the foliage, and I whipped around to see what it was. The light was too dim, however, and so I strained my ears to hear anything that would tell me what was there. Lucky for me, I didn't hear any growling of moans, so I breathed a sigh of relief, knowing it wasn't a walker.

I heard the sound again and strained my eyes. A small, shaggy, red haired dog, who barely cleared my knees, trotted out towards me form the undergrowth. It approached me, sniffing my feet, then jumped at my legs playfully. I pet him, laughing at the absurdity of the situation. It was the damn end of the world and this little thing was still alive.

My laughter became almost hysterical. I don't know why, but the absurdity brought me to my knees. Daryl came form the tent, his crossbow drawn.

"What the hell?" he demanded.

"I'm fine, I just-" I managed before begining to laugh again. Daryl rolled his eyes and then finally realized the dog was sitting at my feet.

"Get rid of it," he snapped.

"Absolutely not! The poor thing needs us, and it wouldn't be so bad to have another companion around here. It won't be a bother, I promise," I insisted.

Daryl shook his head, rolling his eyes. He opened his mouth to speak, but before he could, it walked up to him and sat at his feet, looking up at him and whimpering. "Awe, how can you say no?"

Daryl huffed and shook his head. "Fine. Keep the damn thing. But you're in charge of it. You feed it and water it and pick it's shit up after it goes," he insisted.

"That's fine," I said.

"I'm going back to bed," he grumbled, turning back to the tent. I snickered.

I went over and sat back down on the fallen tree and the dog followed me over to it. It was definitely growing on me.I think having this dog would be a good addition for us. We would no longer be alone, and that was more than I could ask for.

Hello readers! It's always fun to sneak around on wattpad during class!

I hope you liked this chapter, and although it was supposed to be a little longer, I am getting ready to leave this class so I have to stop it here.

What do you guys think? Let me know in the comments!

And don't forget to vote, comment, and fan!