Chapter 37

I groaned as I started to come to. My head was killing me. The light coming from above hurt like hell, even with my eyes closed.

I hear two girlish voices whispering, and I remembered last night. Despite my anger before, I couldn't muster it now with my pounding head.

"Is she awake?" one voice said.

"Probably, but he hit her pretty hard. She's probably got a horrible headache and I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't get out of bed for a while," said another voice.

I recognized them both as the girls who I had pulled a gun on last night. I felt a bit of guilt as I thought back to that, but I couldn't tell anyone that. They'd use it against me.

Sighing, I slowly sat up and opened my eyes. My head didn't hurt any worse, and I was thankful for that.

I took in my surroundings. I was in the tent, and the girls were sitting in front of me cross legged, their heads bent together over what looked like a notebook. One was writing, and the other one was whispering bits to her as she did so.

When they saw that I had sat up, one shrank away, and the other stood and made her way over to me.

"How are you feeling?" she asked softly.

"My head is killing me," I spat. After all, she was the reason that my head hurt in the first place.

"Here, take two of these," she said, handing me a pill bottle and a bottle of water. I obeyed, despite the fact that I really didn't want to. But if it meant feeling better, I would take them gladly.

"I'm sorry about last night," she said slowly.

"Why are you apologizing to me?" I demanded.

"You were right, We shouldn't have just showed up and been accepted into the group with open arms," she said. "Drink," she ordered when I put the cap on the water bottle.

I nodded. It was weird being ordered around by someone else. I didn't even let Daryl tell me what to do.

"We understand that it was a surprise to you, and that you had every right to do what you did," she said.

"So which one are you?" I asked a bit rudely, changing the subject.

"I'm Lilly. I'm older by a year," said the girl in front of me.

"So you must be Rose," I said, peering around Lilly. She nodded slowly, shyly.

"My name's Rosaline," I said again. They both nodded.

"Daryl's told us a lot about you," Lilly said.

"Oh really?" I asked.

"He's told us how strong and courageous you are," Rose said quietly from behind Lilly. I smiled.

"Has he?" I asked, trying to pull out more information.

"He also told us that you might have a problem if you woke up to us being here, since we're girls and you two are... close," Lilly said.

"He said we were close?" I asked, a bit of confusion in my voice.

"Not exactly. Lilly and I just assumed that from the way he said it," Rose said.

"Well, I'm not sure where we stand now, but we are sort of, erm, close, I guess," I replied.

"Really? I thought you two had to have been at least engaged," Rose said in disbelief.

"Ha, funny," I said sarcastically.

"It's not that funny," Lilly said. "You two are off on your own. You could be anything. You could be siblings, although that's not really reasonable," Lilly said.