Chapter 51

I didn't sleep well that night. I tossed and turned, unable to find sleep. I was so glad when finally, finally, it was time to get up and get ready to go. I showered, changed into clean clothes, combed through my hair and grabbed a fruit bar for breakfast. Sighing, I slung my pack onto my back and made sure I had my gun and then made my way outside.

Rick and Daryl were already out, leaning over a map that was opened upon the hood of one of the cars. I approached them, hoping I wouldn't scare them, because they seemed pretty caught up in the map in front of them. It dawned on me that Merle was nowhere to be found. I hoped that didn't mean that it would just be Daryl and I.

I set my pack down by Rick's feet and he turned to me and nodded. "Everything set?" he asked.

"I was thinking I should get some of the food from Daryl and Merle's cabin, because-"

"It's already packed," Daryl said stiffly, cutting me off.

"And we're going to need more guns and ammo-"

"Had you been up twenty minutes ago, you'd know that Rick already gave us some," Daryl interrupted again. I rolled my eyes. This was going to be a long trip.

"Anything else I need to know so that I don't get interrupted again?" I demanded.

"As soon as Merle finishes up in the John we'll be leaving," Daryl said.

"We're taking back roads, right? We can stop at houses if we need anything and we're less likely to run into walkers," I reasoned.

"We need fuel. We're more likely to find that along a highway," Daryl spat back. I sighed, closing my eyes and rubbing my temples.

"We can find fuel on back roads too. At farms and things. We'll be fine-"

"I agree with missy," Merle said from behind us, making us all jump and turn around. "Back roads are best 'cause they ain't got near as many walkers. I learned that after y'all left me on that roof back in Atlanta."

Daryl's eyes narrowed. He didn't like Merle agreeing with me, even on something as stupid as this.

"Back roads it is then," Rick finalized, throwing both Daryl and I a look.

"It's settled then. We'll be back as soon as we can Rick. Tell everyone goodbye for me," I said, giving Rick a quick hug before rounding the side of the car and sliding into the drivers seat. Merle slid into the passenger seat next to me, but Daryl stayed behind and exchanged a few words with Rick before coming around to my side and opening up the door.

"I'm driving," he said.

"Gonna have a hard time with that if I'm sitting in the drivers seat," I replied. His eyes narrowed and his jaw clenched, and he slammed my door shut with a major force. He opened the door behind me and slid into the middle, throwing his crossbow on the seat next to him.

"You got the map?" I asked Daryl. He grunted and it came flying up from the back seat. I caught it before it could fall and handed it to Merle. "You're on map duty," I told him. He took the map from me and nodded.

I started the car and slowly drove it up the dirt road to the gate. It was closed.

We sat there for a moment before Daryl huffed and opened the door, slamming it behind him. He stalked up to the gate and opened it, making a sarcastic gesture for me to drive through. I shot him a look, but drove through. He came out the other side and opened the door, sliding into the back seat and then once again slamming the door behind him.

The first hour of the ride was quiet. After about twenty minutes I heard snoring next to me. Merle had fallen asleep. I slid the map out of his hands and gave it to Daryl. He rolled his eyes, but didn't say anything.

After an hour and a half of driving I decided to stop and get something to eat out of the back. I hadn't anticipated how hungry I would get after such a small breakfast. When I stopped, Merle jerked awake, looking around wildly.

"Why the fuck are we stopped?" he demanded.

"I was going to get something to eat out of the back. You want anything?" I asked him.

"What you got?" he asked.

"I don't know, Daryl said he grabbed everything," I told Merle.

"Get me something to eat, baby brother," Merle said to Daryl. Daryl huffed and I could see him roll his eyes in the rearview mirror. He got out of the car and slammed the door and I popped the trunk and got out as well.

When I got to the trunk, Daryl was there, digging through several bags of food.

"You need some help?" I asked him, leaning against the bumper of the car and looking out onto the road.

Daryl huffed, ignoring my question. I rolled my eyes. Merle didn't seem nearly as mad as Daryl was about what I had said and yet it had been directed towards Merle. I didn't understand what Daryl's problem was.

I grabbed a pack of saltine crackers from one of the bags and went back to the car, sliding into my seat. Merle looked at me expectantly.

"He won't talk to me, but I assume he's getting you something," I told him. He nodded. "He seems madder at me than you are."

"Thas 'cause nobody stands up to 'ol Merle. And when they do, they either get their teeth kicked in or they earn my respect. You've earned my respect, so don't fuck it up," Merle said to me. I smirked.

"That's good to know," I told him. Daryl climbed into the back seat, threw Merle a bag of something, and then we took off again.

Hello readers! So I'm sorry if this chapter is a bit sucky but I had to get back into my writing mindset after that horrible case of writers block (I'm not sure it's completely over, but I was able to crank out this chapter,) that has managed to last two and a half weeks.

I apologize for the delay in update. Those of you who follow me probably saw the message I sent to all followers about my writers block and migraines. For now, my writers block is gone but I know it can come back at any time. My migraines are not under control yet either, so that also poses a potential problem. I hate to not update because I know how much it makes my day to see some of my favorite stories be updated, and how anxious I get waiting for the next chapter. I will try to get back on a schedule again for updates, but I start school tomorrow so they might not be as often as before. But at least once a week.

I'll keep you all updated on what's going on in my crazy world through my messages. If you'd like to get these, the best way to know when I send them is to follow me.

Thank you to @mrs_devin_reedus for your continued support through my writers block. I see all your comments and it means a lot to me to know that I have fans out there on my side, helping me through a tough time.

 If you are reading my other story, Georgia On My Mind, it should also be updated later today. If you're not reading it then you should go check it out! :-)

Thank you all once again, and don't forget to vote, comment, and fan! You guys are awesome!