Chapter 40

I set the baby back inside the crib and slowly turned around. A tall male, taller than Daryl, stood in the doorway, his gun trained upon me, but at the same time eyeing Daryl and Lilly. I put my hands in the air in surrender, and as I did so, the baby began to cry again. The man lowered his gun and pushed past me, grabbing the baby girl from her crib and patting her back, trying to soothe her.

"Who are you?" the man asked.

"I'm Rosaline, this is Daryl, and the girl over there is Lilly," I told him calmly.

"Christopher," he said. The baby kept on crying. I extended my hands slowly, reaching out to take her.

"May I?" I asked. He nodded and handed the screaming baby to me slowly.

"Shhhh," I said to her. She quieted a bit, but I could tell she needed something else. "Do you have some formula?" I asked Christopher.

He nodded. "In the other room, on top of the counter."

I looked over at Lilly. "Get me the formula and a bottle filled with to the 6 mark," I told her. She nodded and went immediately to get it.

"What's her name?" I asked Christopher.

"Her name is Leslie," he replied. Lilly returned with a bottle of already made formula.

"Thanks," I said gratefully. I was planning on making it myself, but this was better.

I fed Leslie and she sighed in contentment. Christopher watched me closely the entire time. I could also feel Daryl's eyes on my back, but I was ignoring him.

"You're good with kids," Christopher noticed after I had gotten Leslie to calm down and had put her back inside her crib, where she laid contently, going to sleep.

"I guess it's 'cause I've always wanted one," I said quietly.

"Ah," he said, understanding the meaning behind my words.

"Well now that you've babysat, you want to get your ass back to camp?" Daryl spat from behind me. I turned around and frowned at him.

"Why don't you take your own ass back and pack things up. I'll stay here and watch over Leslie a while longer. It's nice to be around kids," I snapped back.

"Y'all can stay in one of the cabins if you'd like," Christopher offered. "I own this place." Bianca came trotting in through the door. "Hey girl."

"She's yours?" I asked him in disbelief.

"Yep. Her name is Carla, after my wife. I found her in one of the cabins after everything... happened," he managed.

"We call her Bianca, after my sister," I informed him. He nodded. We both knew that the other had been lost.

"Stop chitchatting. Let's load up the supplies and move up here," Daryl snapped.

"You and Lilly can. I'll stay here," I said. Daryl narrowed his eyes and then gestured for Lilly to follow him before he stalked up. I was surprised he didn't protest. Usually he was all about protecting me. I guess right now he was just too pissed off to even care.

"You're fighting with your husband?" asked Christopher.

"God, why does everyone think we're married?" I demanded.

"You argue like an old couple," Christopher said. I smirked a bit.

"We're not married. We met after all this shit happened, so..." I trailed off.

"But you love him," Christopher observed.

"I don't know. Why?" I demanded. This conversation was making me uncomfortable.

"Either you love him or you don't," Christopher said.

"Okay, Jack Dawson," I said, referring to one of my favorite movies, Titanic. Christopher chuckled. "Why is it so important to you?" I asked him.

"I don't know. I'm just curious. I haven't been around a couple quite like you two before," Christopher replied.

"I don't think there's ever been a couple in a situation like this before," I said sarcastically. "How many couples do you know that almost tried to kill each other the first time they met, then battled flesh eating monsters on their first date?"

Christopher smirked. "Touché."

Hello everyone! So technically I waited a day to post this, although it's only been a few hours. :-) Anyway, I hope you like it!

Just a reminder that the Season 4 trailer of TWD came out a few days ago, and if you haven't seen it, the video is on the side of my last chapter. Check it out!

So, why do you think Christopher is so curious about Rosaline's love life? Do you think Daryl is overreacting? Is Rosaline overstepping boundries by suddenly taking care of someone else's child? Let me know what you think in the comments!

And, of course, don't forget to vote, comment, and fan!

PS. Don't forget to check out my other two stories, The Runaways, which is my original stories, and Boondock Boys, my Boondock Saints fanfiction. The Runaways is all up and finished.