Chapter 54

I rushed out in the hallway and ran into a very solid mass. It grabbed me and I was almost sure it was a walker but I looked up to see Merle.

"We gotta get outta here before them geeks catch up to us!" he said urgently as I pushed myself off him.

"Where's Daryl?" I asked.

"Upstairs. Le's get up there and get 'im outta there," Merle rushed out. I could tell that his number one priority was getting Daryl and getting out of here.

"Okay, let's get out of here before they sniff us out," I agreed.

We took the stairs up to the second floor. Merle and I found Daryl pretty quickly.

"We gotta get outta 'ere. There's geeks all over the place!" Merle told Daryl. His face turned serious and he nodded.

"What's the fastest way out, do ya think?" I asked the two of them.

"Back down the way you came up," Daryl said firmly.

"I spot a fire escape door at the end of the hallway. There must be a stairwell beyond it that eventually leads to a door to the outside. That's our best bet," I argued.

"No way! There's bound to be walkers lined up at the door waiting for dinner! We gotta go back the way we came!" Daryl insisted, his voice rising in anger.

"Fine! You go your way and I'll go mine and we'll see who ends up dead!" I spat at him. This wasn't really the time to be arguing but I knew I was right and I wasn't going to get myself eaten because he wouldn't listen to me.

And with that, Daryl turned on his heel and stalked down the stairs, leaving a very dumfounded Merle standing put in the place where he had been.

Merle gave me a look and I could see him contemplating whether or not he should go after Daryl.

"Go. If something happened to him you'd never forgive yourself. I'll be fine," I assured Merle. He nodded and took off down the stairs after Daryl.

I eyed the exit sign at the end of the hall and then sighed, making my way towards it. I hoped that there was nothing unpleasant on the other side. Because if there was, I couldn't risk a gunshot to kill it.

I opened the door slowly, and let out a sigh of relief when nothing came lunging at me. I stepped inside the stairwell and immediately regretted doing so as the door swung shut behind me and everything suddenly became dark. Taking a tentative step forward, I swung my hand out, trying to find the railing. I found it and grabbed on, taking my first step down.

I slowly took three more steps. As I began to lower my foot down onto the next step, it hit something, and I lost my balance. But before I could regain it, I fell forward, tumbling down like a rag doll.

At the bottom, I laid there, my body feeling like I had just been hit by a truck. I was pretty sure that my arm was broken and I could feel a goose egg starting to form on the back of my head. I tried to sit up but the sudden movement made me extremely sick to my stomach and I lost my oatmeal right then. It covered my shirt, and I almost lost whatever was left in my stomach, but before I could do so, my brain started to become foggy, and everything turned darker than it should've been, and I lost consciousness.

Floating. It felt like floating, although I wasn't weightless. There was a pain in my head and my arm, and I was quite sure that if I was floating and weightless, mere things such as pain would have little effect on me. The world around me was the grey of a summer night before a thunderstorm, but there didn't seem to be any clouds.

I wondered vaguely how I had gotten to this grey place, but it didn't really bother me. I was floating, after all, and although the pain was becoming worse by the minute, I could bear it. Because right now I was peaceful, floating. And I didn't care about anything else.

Well, what do you guys think? I know you all are wanting to know more but I'm not telling. :-P You'll have to wait until I post the first chapter of the sequel, Floating!

So I want to hear your opinions! How was that for a last chapter? I've never ended a book quite like that, or ever, really, so I'm curious to know! Did you like it, or was it too much of a cliffhanger? Do you think I ended it too quickly? I'd really like to know! It would mean a lot to me if you could drop me a comment about what you think.

I know this was a little short but I knew where I wanted it to stop and this was where. I wanted to give you guys a little bit to want to read for because I know that I am nothing without you and if I don't please and satisfy you guys I don't have anything!

I feel like I don't say this often enough, but thank you guys. Thank you all. You are all amazing readers. I couldn't ask for more. You have stood by me, even at my craziest, and helped me get through  this great and terrible beauty that is life. Writing is my dream and you guys made it come true. And I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for that. I never dreamed a year ago that I'd be sitting here writing the authors note on the last chapter of the first in a duology. I can't thank you guys enough for getting me here. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Okay, enough of the sappy stuff before I make myself cry. :-) Don't forget to leave your predictions below and tell me what you thought about my first ever finished fanfiction! I appreciate it more than you'll ever know!

Don't forget to check out Floating!

As always, don't forget to vote, comment, and fan!