Somehow (Paul imprint story) Ch 6

Mavis’s POV

I started to shake my head slowly, refusing to meet the terrifying truth. Aidan closed his eyes and leaned forward, placing his head on top of the wheel. He slowly started to shake and I got worried, not knowing how to react. I felt a small urge to give him a hug but I pushed that aside and gave him a pat on the back instead.

I thought I heard a faint sob but knew it was best for me to keep that to myself. But soon, curiosity got the best of me and a question slipped out of my mouth.

“How...”

Aidan looked up with despair in his eyes but tried to hide it with a bitter smile.

“No one knew.”

I paused and went with the second question. “...old was she?”

“Twelve.”

“Oh.”

There wasn’t much to say afterwards.

Aidan’s POV

Soon after the spill of my lifetime story, Mavis was back to her old self again. Quite and sullen, almost as if she was never part of the world. Never part of our conversation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After 30 minutes or so later, I pulled into a patrol station, in desperate need for the bathroom. I turned the engine off and stumbled out the car and just as I was about to slam the car shut, I saw Mavis asleep on the window edge.

So calm and peaceful...There is something different from the Mavis I met earlier, all the traces of bitterness and sorrows disappeared. Her face is now gentle and sweet-looking...Maybe this is the real Mavis, the one that’s hidden de-

Oh dammit! I need the toilet...What was I doing?

Although I was in a mad rush, I controlled myself and closed the door as quietly as I could and sprinted towards the bathroom.

------------------------------------------------------------------

When I came back to the car, I was disappointed to see one wide-awake Mavis, her face still cold and emotionless. I climbed into my seat and took another glance at her.

“Want a break?” I asked, pulling her earphones off. She shot me a glare since I took her music away from her but then smiled slightly.

“Sure, I need some sugar anyway.”

I grinned at Mavis and moved swiftly to her side of the car, opening the car door for her. She smiled at me again with that killer-angelic smile and got out. I watched with amusement as Mavis entered the patrol station and took her time as she decided between Cadbury chocolate and Nestle chocolate.

I stood behind her and waited patiently as she finally decided on Cadbury, snatching two blocks of chocolate off the shelf and showed a face of delight. I let out a small chuckle and stole the chocolate off her, rushing towards the counter while ignoring Mavis’s weak protest.

At the counter, a 17 years old looking girl was sitting there, watching me with a flirtatious look.

Ugh...Here we go again...

“Hello, how can I help you?” Tania, as the blondie’s nametag suggested, asked me. Her eyes were still searching and wandering up and down my body.

“These.” I replied, “Please.”

Remembering my manners at the last minute, especially when Mavis was behind me. And while Tania was trying hard to charm me with her perfectly fake face, I saw from the corner of my eyes that Mavis was already inside the car, ears plugged again.

I let myself loosen up and chatted to the blondie for a few minutes.

Mavis’s POV

Ugh, I forgot to get the water again...

I rushed out of the car again and was just about to yell at Aidan when I heard the loud piercing laughter of the counter girl and Aidan beaming cheerfully at her. I stood there and watched with annoyance.

How can Aidan go from a broken-hearted clownfish to a flirting master?

How can people get over grief so easily?

I hate it when people changes so quickly...too many of them do that...

I turned without a sound and went back to the car...

But only to collect my bags and luggage.

I even ditched my chocolate...

I took a brief glance back at the patrol station and shook my head.

Poor Eva...

---------------------------------------------------------

For the last 10 minutes, I trailed the road slowly, listening to my IPod until I finally met the sign that read ‘LA PUSH’ in big bold letters. I almost yelped with joy.

I searched the nearby scenery and found forests everywhere but that’s okay with me. I loved forests. I loved the feeling of protection when I’m hidden behind the trees.

Soon, I found myself wandering closer and closer to the inner part of the forest. Tired, I placed myself onto the cold, hard dirt but then a snap of a twig got my instant attention. I turned, half scared of what I would find in this strange town.

Oh...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks all for reading and I hope you enjoyed it. Who do you think will be there with Mavis? Paul? Aidan? Please tell me what you think!

Thanks again to the people who commented on the last chapter about their fav part. It would be great if you guys can do that again! It would certainly encourage me to write faster! :P