Prologue

"Mama! Wake up. Daddy's with some other girl. And Keith is smoking something." Brooklynn tried to explain to her mother.

"Brooklynn, go to your room." Her mom said.

"But, Mommy! It's very important!" The short girl pleaded.

"Brooklynn! Shut the hell up and go to your room!" The older woman shouted, smashing a vodka bottle on a near end table, effectively scaring her daughter.

Brooklynn obeyed, terrified at how mean her mommy can be. Brooklynn sat down on the purple carpeted floor. She saw her friend, BEN climb through her TV.

"Hey, Brook. What's going on?" He asked.

"Mama's being really grouchy. Daddy's with some other lady. Keith is doing something." She responded absentmindedly.

BEN eyed the little girl. Something didn't seem right to him. A small girl like Brooklynn shouldn't be this calm about her life when it's like... this. Her father is a man-whore. Her mom is an alcoholic. Her brother does drugs. She seems to be normal. The only one.

"Never mind. Want to hear a story?"

Brooklynn nodded, knowing it would be hilarious.

BEN went on to explain the story of how he 'accidentally' threw Jeff's knife onto the ceiling fan, and then, Jeff threw BEN's controller up there too, and BEN tried to get it down but he was way too short, and how mad Slender got when he walked into the room to have a video game controller flung at his face.

By the end, Brooklynn was in tears, laughing so hard.

"Go on and laugh my shortness." BEN rolled his eyes.

Brooklynn hugged him tightly.

"Real best friends don't care about height."

"That's why I don't care that you're so tiny."

"Hey!"

"Love ya Brookie!"

"I love you too, BEN." She mumbled.

BEN knows something that little Brooklynn will never be able to believe.

"Brook, I have to go. I'll see you soon." BEN said, kissing Brooklynn's forehead.

He surged through the TV.

That was the last time Brooklynn saw BEN.