Chapter 22 ~ Slenderman

yo my dudes 

once you're done with this chapter, please read the note at the end

thanks friends

___________________________________________

"Teenage Son of Actress, Jen Riverwood, found bruised and bloodied in their home!" 

Headlines of this sort flooded celebrity gossip websites. Keith Riverwood had been found severely injured in what police were calling a home invasion, perhaps by a crazed fan? It wasn't impossible that it had been a fan. It happened a few years back, when Jen was pregnant with her second child, Brooklynn. 

It was actually that event that triggered Jennifer to go into labor, giving birth to Brooklynn later that morning on December 5th at 10:19 A.M. 

Brooklynn had been what most parents would consider a perfect child. She slept through the night. She almost never cried. The only exceptions were when she was hungry or needed to be changed. 

A seemingly perfect child after the fuck up of a son her first child was.

 Sometimes, like now, she got curious and searched up her family on the internet. Just out of pure curiosity. Just to see what people thought of her. Scrolling through the results, she accidentally clicked on an article. 

The article was titled "12 Reasons Why The Riverwood Family is Incredibly Messed Up". 

She sighed, they weren't wrong. But still, it didn't need to be pointed out. Jennifer was aware that she was a shitty mom. She tried to keep up with it all. Her husband hadn't been any help in raising both kids. 

There was 4 sections, each citing 4 problems the author had with each of the family members. Her husband's section was filled with "Police records" of assault and drug possession. But the last one had caught her eye.

4. He's been spotted with at least 4 other women, none of which were Jennifer. 

Where had they gotten this information? That had been private information shared between Jen and a few close family members. Had someone in her family sold the news to the media? Or was it just that obvious?  Maybe it had been her sister who told? Who knows. 

Jennifer's section was filled with accusations of alcoholism, child abuse, being a terrible role model for teen girls. It seemed to be a trend within this article, saving the worst rumor for last. 

4. Jennifer has repeatedly admitted to starving her daughter so she could fit into pageant costumes. 

Below the statement was two things, one was a video. It was an interview, maybe from last June? She clicked on the video, her eyes trained on the computer screen. Her hair was longer back then. She had the energy to do her makeup to perfection. She was constantly wearing her short dresses and high heels.

"So your daughter, Brooklynn," Her eyebrows raised, feigning interest in the questions. "She does pageants, is that correct?" She watched as she had nodded and smiled on screen. 

"How hard is it being a pageant mom and an actress?" the female interviewer asked. 

"It's so difficult. I remember a couple months ago, I had paid around $5,000 for this beautiful baby blue dress for Brooklynn. I had it custom made, crystals put on by hand, the whole package. It was a gorgeous dress. But then, I found out that within the month it took to make the dress, Brooklynn had gained like 10 pounds. But the dress was so beautiful that she needed to wear it if she wanted to win." She had said, leaning forward in the chair, grinning.

"So what did you do?" The woman in front of her was puzzled. Did she have the dress redone to fit Brooklynn? 

"I put Brooklynn on a diet. She lost all 10 pounds like that." She snapped, laughing. 

"Woah, that seems kind of drastic to me. Why did you choose to have her go on the diet?" The interviewer was shocked. 

"Pageant moms do it all the time. I've never met a mom who didn't put their daughter on a diet at least once so they could fit into a dress for an upcoming pageant."

The video stopped there. 

She exited out of the video and scrolled down to the accompanying picture. It was of Brooklynn. It had to have been from the pageant from last month, right? She was wearing a white dress, her long brown hair pinned in various places, small white flowers scattered throughout her hair. The toothy smile plastered across her face was obviously fake. Her collarbones protruded painfully. Her wrists were disturbingly small. It was grotesque. Who would do that to an innocent child? 

I did, she thought. 

She slammed down the cover of the laptop and sobbed. 

___________________________________________________

Brooklynn's heart pounded against her chest as she walked towards the park. The last hour or so was incredibly blurry, she didn't remember much of it. Mommy had changed her out of the white dress she had been wearing into pajamas. They were her favorite Spongebob pajamas. She had also slipped fuzzy socks on before she left. 

As she walked along the sidewalk, she tried to count. She tried to count the number of broken bottles and cigarettes littering the side of the road.

She lost count at 58.

Soon, she arrived at the park, complete with rusting swings and broken seesaws. As Brooklynn sauntered over to the swing on the far right side. She kicked her feet on the ground, pushing herself higher. 

It was dark out. Almost 6 pm. Since it was December, the sun started going down at around 4 o'clock. 

She glanced at the cars zooming past the park. She noticed the flickering streetlight down the road. She noticed the man standing under it. She noticed how predatory his smile seemed. She noticed how his eyes followed her every movement. 

Then, he disappeared. 

Something had grabbed him from the bushes. 

She could hear static. It seemed to be right behind her. Turning to see the source of the noise, she found that nothing was there. 

She kept swinging. 

__________________________________________________

okay so I need y'all to do me a huge favor 

comment or message me questions you have about the book ( or me lmao) 

I need these as soon as possible!!! 

thank you! :)