Stranger-Ryden

A/U: Classic coffee shop AU based off the song "stranger" by secondhand serenade!

The accustomed aroma of freshly brewed coffee filled Brendon's scenes as he approached the familiar coffee shop. The weather was chilly and different colored leaves fell to the paved streets. The café was cosy, business was consistent but nothing extravagant. Fairy lights thrown over the ceiling with small tables covering a majority of the floor space.

People were busy either studying for finals, hence the café near the college campus Brendon studied at, business workers with annoyed expressions plastered across their faces due to slow servers.

A few peers and friends also worked along side of Brendon trying to make some extra cash, every dime going towards paying off college debt. "Hey, Bren!" The usual cheery tone of Brendon's best friend, Alex Babinski, rang his ears as he appeared from the brewing room.

"Hey, Alex." A simple reply was enough for she was awaiting a few comments about Brian, the boy Alex was head over heels for; Alex's luck wasn't the best considering Brian worked here and should be entering any minute. Pulling the black apron over his head, he started to take orders.

"-yeah but he's totally into me!" This was the usual remark the nineteen year old would give in response to why he hasn't asked Brian out yet and vice versa. Mumbling something along the lines of, "sure he is" Brendon busied himself by continuing to stack cups on display.

The sound of a bell ringing soon filled the tiny café showing someone has entered. Brendon picked his tired head up only to be met with a face that belonged to Ryan Ross. He was in a few of his classes and always managed to catch Brendon's undivided attention.

Turn around and fix your eye in my direction to capture the connection.

He was desperately hoping the other boy wouldn't walk his way but at the same time it's all Brendon wanted, a small conversation with the boy who seemed to have everyone's attention when speaking about nothing in particular.

To Brendon's luck the boy made his way towards the register preparing to order. Wide eyes that belonged to Brendon stared at the beautiful boy in front of him, the same boy he's been crushing on since day one of school.

I can't make a sound to capture your attention, I'm staring at perfection.

Ryan spoke with a quiet but confident tone, "I'll have a black coffee, please." He restrained himself from making a Mindless Self Indulgence reference, his voice caught in his throat as he desperately tried to make out words. Instead he settled for a basic head nod knowing better than to embarrass himself and attempt to communicate with him.

Hurrying towards Alex, who was gazing over at Brian instead of doing his work, Brendon hurried his way towards the boy.

"Alex. It's him. He's here." Brendon blurted out before taking into consideration he needed to be preparing Ryan's drink. "He's here! Oh my god, Brian psss!" He mentally slapped himself for telling the boy for he was making a huge commotion over a small crush.

"What is it now, Alex?" Brian sighed for what seemed like the thousandth time today. "Ryan is here! Brendon's in love!" In response to this comment Brendon made a sound of protest replying with, "I'm not in love with him" as he continued to make Ryan's drink.

"Get his number! This is what you're going to do, ask for his name and be like, 'do you have a number that goes along with that?' What do you think?" Brian and Alex jumped up and down
as if they were in middle school and continued to give horribly cheesy advice.

I'm confident but I can't pretend I wasn't terrified to meet you.

Hesitantly, Brendon approached Ryan, his drink in hand, mentally figuring out what to say. At this point the two boys was already standing directly across from another and Brendon made the decision to go along with Brian's plan.

"Can I get a name for your drink?" The words flew out of his mouth, no stutter and perfectly with confidence radiating off of him.

"Ryan." His voice is captivating. Was Brendon's only thoughts at the sight.

"Do you have a number that goes along with that?" Saying this aloud made Brendon feel extremely embarrassed that he just used the lamest pick-up-line to ask Ryan out. He was ready to apologize but Ryan gave Brendon the phone digits and smiled.

Before he could say a quick goodbye and thank him, Ryan was handing over the money and out the door. Left standing behind the counter wide-eyes looking in the direction of the exit, Brendon was cut off from his trail of thoughts by two voices.

"Bren's got a date tonight!" The voices belonged to Brian and Alex, hesitantly thanking them both for the advice she continued to finish his work.

RYAN'S POV

"Tyler, aliens are as real as your love for Joshua Dun. I'll be there in a few minutes I'm on my way," I made my way towards my best friend's apartment hoping not to be late. The boy's horrible skills at denying his love for Joshua Dun resulted in me rolling my eyes which landed on the one and only, Brendon Urie. He was in a few of my classes and never seemed to talk much. Everything about him was mysteriously intriguing.

"-change of plans. I'll be there in 20. I need to make a little detour; bye, babe!" I quickly hung up my phone which caused in a round of groans from Tyler on the other end.

Opening the doors to the small café, it revealed a scent of freshly brewed coffee, I peered around at the many people doing their own thing with one another. A round of what-ifs passed through my head as I made my way towards the boy I've never talked to before. Maybe this wasn't the best idea, maybe walking into a crowded and well populated area wasn't the best way to confront the cute boy I've been crushing on from afar.

I managed to calm my nerves and proceeded to make my way towards Brendon. My hands were sweating which I pulled into my pockets before speaking. "I'll have a black coffee, please." Those were the only words I managed to choke out. To my surprise he seemed at loss for words, I tried to compile what could cause this puzzlement but nothing came to my head.

Everything else went by in a flash as the beautiful boy worked to brew my beverage. I tried not to stare at him but that task was far more difficult then I intended it to be.

Brendon finished with my drink and made no hesitation to speak, "Can I get a name for your drink?" As silly as it seems, I blanked out and almost forgot my own fucking name.

"Ryan."

"Do you have a number that goes along with that?" He looked almost desperate as the words came out of his mouth, I obviously didn't want to kiss him on the spot, why would you think that?

It being my turn to be at a loss for words, I quickly wrote down the digits adding an extra, "text me - Ross xo" towards the end. He peered down at his arm where I wrote the digits, looking back up he opened his mouth to say something but me being me, I quickly handed over the money and left.

"Tyler, you wouldn't believe what just happened."

A/N: hey guys so basically this is my Lynexa fic that I just changed around the names/pronouns so sorry if you see "she/her" or Lynn and Alexa! Comment if you'd read a full length Lynexa fic based off of this

- nmc