Chapter 17

Clary POV

I'm sitting by my windowsill when I get the email. The scene is pretty normal for a Saturday when Jace is busy and I'm bored. A cigarette dangles from my mouth as I work on a paper for English while a rerun of Teen Wolf plays on the small TV sitting on my dresser. One of the many links I have opened just so happens to be my email.

I just barely see it, but the number in my inbox changes from 16 to 17. Curiosity gets the best of me and I open the link. I don't recognize the email, so I open it rather than leaving it for later. I immediately regret it.

You know that I know what happened in Chicago. And now, if you don't do whatever I say, everyone in your perfect little dream world will know. Don't think I can prove it? Think again.

An attachment for a video file sits under the text. With shaky hands, I open it.

"Will you turn that goddamn camera off Mark? If your parents see this, we're all going down," I say bringing a joint to my mouth.

A masculine laugh I know all too well fills the air. "Don't worry babe. No one will ever see this camera except for me."

"Heeey!" a high Aline shrieks walking over. "You guys will never guess what I pulled off a cop when he was asleep in his car," she says cheerfully as she waves around a gun.

"No way!" I yell as I rush towards her and grab the gun out of her hands to look at it.

An old friend of mine, Jon Cartwright, laughs. "How the hell did you get that without waking the cop up? And can you teach me?" His girlfriend, Beatriz and her best friend Julie laugh along with him.

I laugh like an idiot as I wave out around. "What do you think guys? Does this make me look badass enough?" I pose with it and stumble over towards the camera. I glare into the camera and point the gun at it. "Don't mess with Clary Fray you bastards." I pretend to fire it and Mark's laughter fills the microphone again.

"Is it bad this is really turning me on? A high redhead with a gun... That could be amazing fun."

I shake my head slightly as Beatriz starts talking again. "Maybe you can wait until after you're alone. We all may be ridiculously high, but come on. Have at least a little dignity."

"But where's the fun in that? Besides, you and Jon are ten times worse," Mark retorts.

"He's not wrong," Jon says before taking ahold of Beatriz's waist and pulls her in before the start making out. Mark is whistling while Aline, Julie, and I laugh like madwomen.

"Hey what's going on down here?" a new voice asks, walking into the alley. He wears a suit, like he just came from work. What a stiff.

"Why don't you just leave us alone you nosey piece of shit," I shout as I continue to wave the gun around. I laugh as he flinches away. "What? Scared of a little gun?"

"Put that damn thing away before you hurt someone," the man commands.

I scoff slightly. "Please. The safety is on. See?" I point the gun towards him and pull the trigger.

But the gun isn't on safety.

A bullet flies from the barrel and the man crumples to the ground as red spreads from his forehead. I scream and drop the gun.

"Oh my God! Oh. My. Fucking. God! I just shot someone! He's-He's dead." I say as I run my hands through my hair.

"Clary, just-just calm down," Mark says, his voice shaking.