Chapter 2

I left the flat and walked down to the underground station. The journey felt long and boring without Phil, I wasn't used to his absence. After the longest tube journey of my life, I walked out of the station. It was incredibly strange; there was no one double stepping up the stairs and making me think they were going to fall. Just down the street, there was a cafe where I was going to meet PJ. I pushed the door open and saw him sat at one of the tables. I managed a sad smile and walked over.

'No sign of Phil?' PJ asked as I approached him. I shook my head. 'I got you a hot chocolate' He pushed a mug towards me.
'Thanks' I said, my voice was shaky. I looked down at the drink. There were marshmallows on it, but they didn't have smiley faces on them. I blinked back tears and took a sip.
'Look, Dan, I'm sure you'll find him again' PJ sighed. 'How did you lose him?' He asked.
'He...he walked out because we had an argument' I started. 'He gave me sleeping tablets because I walked into the...the kitchen door—'
'Again' PJ laughed. I rolled my eyes.
'Right, and...and...and I yelled at him and he tried to reason with me but I was angry so I locked myself in the bathroom but then...then I heard the door slam shut' I wiped a tear from my cheek and took another sip of hot chocolate. It tasted bitter and grainy. Phil's hot chocolates were some of the best ones I've ever had, like he had poured melted chocolate straight into the mug. PJ put his hand on mine and sighed again.
'That's pretty bad' PJ said in a low voice. 'Have you ever argued before?'
'Yeah, but never this badly!' My voice was close to breaking.

PJ downed the last of his drink and stood up.
'You'll find him eventually' He said with a smile.
'That's what you think' I grumbled moodily and stood up too.
'You can't spend the rest of the day alone' PJ held the cafe door open for me.
'What can I do then?' I asked.
'We could go shopping?' PJ suggested. I nodded reluctantly. Everything seemed to remind me of Phil though. I found his lion shirt in Topman, and there was a galaxy bag in the window of another shop. We walked past the bubble tea cafe where Phil and I once went. I remembered how he didn't like the tapioca balls in the bottom of the cup. PJ and I walked through Piccadilly Circus and I remembered Phil's words again. Living here for so long with Phil had made everything remind me of him. We stopped in Hyde Park and took a bit of a breather.
'How are you feeling now?' PJ asked.
'Worse, everything reminds me of Phil' I said, staring at a tree in the distance.
'You sound like you're madly in love with him!' PJ laughed. 'Come on, Dan, everything will be okay in the end'.
'I just want to know where he is' I blinked back the tears again.
'Have you got your phone on you?' PJ asked. I patted the pockets on my jeans.
'No, I must have left it!' I cried.
'Dan, it's okay' PJ put his hand on my shoulder.
'Have you got yours?' I asked. PJ shook his head.
'I don't have Phil's number either' He sighed. I could feel myself losing hope.

We spent the rest of the day sat in Hyde Park and discussing Phil's whereabouts. PJ drove me home so I didn't have to sit through another boring tube journey. He gave me a brief hug and I walked back up the stairs until I was in the corridor. The flat was so empty and lifeless, I wasn't used to being here on my own. I'd left Phil alone here before, but he'd never left me alone.
'Perhaps I should ring him?' I thought to myself. He must have taken his phone with him. His phone wasn't in the office, which was unusual. I walked back down the stairs and stood back in the hallway. The door to Phil's room was still open. 'I shouldn't go in there' I said aloud. Phil never went in my room without my permission, so I didn't think it was right to go in his while he was missing. 'If I ring his phone, I'll know where it is' I said aloud again. My phone was still in the kitchen. I managed not to walk into the glass door this time. However, when I picked up my phone, I noticed another one next to it. I pushed the unlock button on the top. The blank screen lit up to show Phil's usual background. I froze. He hadn't taken his phone with him. How was I supposed to contact him now?