Chapter 18

'Dan, come on!' Phil was jumping up and down frantically in the doorway. 'We'll be late!'

'Relax, Phil, we'll be fine' I rolled my eyes as I sat on my suitcase, trying to get it to close. Phil ran off somewhere and I got back to trying to make my suitcase close properly. I had put everything into my suitcase and left the hand luggage bag almost empty ready for anything I bought while over there. Eventually, I got the suitcase to close and I picked it up.

'Dan!' Phil yelled from somewhere in the flat. I carried my suitcase into the hallway and picked my hand luggage up too. 'Dan, we'll be late!' Phil was downstairs somewhere. I ran round every room quickly turning off all of the switches and then closing the doors. Carrying my suitcase down the stairs wasn't easy, but I managed it and found Phil jumping up and down in front of the front door.

'Calm down! We're going to be okay' I laughed, quickly running into the bathroom to make sure all the taps were off. 'Is everything turned off?' I asked.

'Yup' Phil picked up his suitcase.

'All doors closed?' I asked.

'Yeah' He smiled.

'And you've got the door key?' I asked. Phil felt around in his pockets.

'Um, yes' He picked out a key and grinned.

'Okay, let's go!' I smiled and followed Phil out of the flat. I locked the door and we proceeded to struggle with our suitcases as we went down the many flights of stairs. But eventually we reached the bottom and stood around waiting while Phil called for a taxi. We had decided to fly from Luton airport as it had all the main airlines but was slightly smaller than some other airports. The taxi turned up pretty quickly and we heaved the suitcases and bags on board.

'Luton airport, please' Phil grinned, brimming with excitement. 'Dan, do you think I'll make friends with a kangaroo this time?' He asked.

'Oh my god, you're so stereotypical' I laughed. 'And no, you probably won't'

'Can I hold a koala again?' He asked.

'I don't know Phil, probably' I laughed, shaking my head at Phil's silly questions. It didn't take long before we reached the airport and got our bags off.

'Uh oh' Phil said as we worked out where the entrance was. 'Revolving doors'

'Oh no' I groaned. Revolving doors and suitcases were never a good match and if you got too close to them, they stopped as a safety measure. Phil went first and despite getting too close to the doors a couple of times, he was through pretty quickly. However, when I went through, some kids came in behind me and thought it would be fun to tap on the glass all the time.

'You okay?' Phil laughed, five minutes later when I was finally out of the door.

'That was so stressful oh my god' I groaned again. I got out our boarding passes and we joined the queue for the airline we'd be flying with. It wasn't very long, as we were flying out in the evening and most people had probably gone during the daytime. We handed over our suitcases and bags and boarding passes. I had definitely not put any of the restricted items in, but Phil thought it would be a good idea to put a bottle of drink in his suitcase. I waited for him next to the door while he sorted everything out. He eventually joined me.

'I didn't realise you couldn't put drinks in' Phil laughed. We walked through to security together which meant going up a giant escalator. 'Can we do the Titanic thing?' Phil asked.

'No, Phil' I laughed. We got to the top of the escalator and walked round the corner straight into a giant queue.

'Oh my god' Phil groaned. The queue was moving slowly, but it still seemed like it would take ages to get through.

'How can we pass the time?' I asked.

'Hmm, rock paper scissors?' Phil suggested.

'What are we playing for?' I asked again.

'Hmm, the loser buys coffee when we get through this' Phil thought carefully.

'It's on' I laughed.

'Okay, let's do a best of three. Rock... paper...scissors!' Phil threw his hand towards me in the rock shape. Luckily, I had gone for paper. 'Not fair!' Phil whined.

'It's fair, Phil' I laughed. We kept moving up in the queue as we played.

'Okay, rock... paper... scissors!' Phil made the scissors shape this time. Thankfully, I had gone for rock.

'Oh my god, Dan!' He laughed. 'You're secretly psychic, aren't you?'

'No, Phil, I'm not psychic' I rolled my eyes and smiled.

'Okay, another go! Rock... paper... scissors!' Phil made the scissors shape again and so did I. Phil clapped. 'Ha! That was even!' He poked me gently in the side.

'Phil, nobody won' I walked forward slightly in order to keep the queue moving.

'It's better than you winning' Phil laughed. 'Rock... paper... and... scissors!' Phil showed me the paper shape, but I had made the scissors shape.

'A-ha!' I laughed. 'Phil, you owe me a coffee!' I grinned. Phil pretended to sulk. 'But look, we're at security now' I put my bag and phone into a tray and Phil put his into the tray behind me. We walked through the metal detectors without them going off and picked up our stuff again on the other side. The scariest part was over.

'Where to now, Dan?' Phil asked.

'Coffee' I grinned.