Chapter 17

Phil opened the kitchen door and the first thing I saw was that the oven was already on.

'What are you cooking?' I asked.

'The turkey, it has to be cooked for like 2 hours and everything else takes way less time' He laughed. I laughed with him and walked over to the end of the kitchen. Phil set the camera up on the kitchen counter and I hovered in the background.

'Hi guys! It's Christmas!' Phil waved at the camera and cheered, throwing snowflake confetti all over the kitchen floor.

'We thought we'd make a cooking video with a difference... Christmas dinner!' I placed some various things on the counter and smiled. I pointed at various objects around the kitchen. 'We have a turkey and some potatoes and some peas and-'

'A stuffing mix!' Phil interrupted and threw the packet in the air.

'Phil Lester, everybody, who gets excited by a packet of stuffing mix' I laughed, picking it up off of the floor.

'We don't actually know how to make half of this stuff so we've googled it and it seems pretty easy' Phil opened the stuffing mix and tipped it into a bowl. He added some dairy-free butter and some apple sauce and poured some boiling water over it.

'Can I stir?' I asked as I found a wooden spoon out of the cupboard. Phil nodded and I mixed everything together, then put it into a little dish. Phil opened the oven door and I placed the dish in next to the turkey.

'Right, potatoes' Phil held up the bag and picked up a knife. 'I'll handle the knife, Dan, you might drop it on your foot' He laughed and I rolled my eyes. Then, I realised everyone watching would have no idea what I was on about.

'I dropped a knife on my foot the other day, which wasn't too clever' I laughed almost nervously and gave the camera a thumbs-up. Phil chopped a few of the potatoes in half and put them on a tray.

'You wanna see the magic, Dan?' Phil asked before producing a salt grinder.

'I'm scared to ask what you mean by that' I laughed. Phil held the salt grinder up to the camera.

'Ta-dah!' Phil cheered. 'This is no ordinary salt grinder though, it's filled with a weird salt mix that's apparently going to make our potatoes even better' He shook it and then put some onto the potatoes. He then put them into the oven and went to get a saucepan.

'And no roast dinner of any kind is complete without some seasonal veg' I smiled and held up the bag of peas. 'All we have are peas, but it's something' I laughed and tipped them into the saucepan.

'That didn't take long at all' Phil smiled.

'It's not over yet, we should put some butter on the peas' I cut some off using a knife and put it into the pan along with some water, then onto the hob.

'Is it done now?' Phil asked.

'It is, but we're not' I turned around and picked up two crackers. 'We have crackers to pull!' I placed my hand on one side and Phil grabbed the other. He tugged on his side and almost fell over.

'What colour hat do I have?' He asked. I held up the hat to him and looked blankly at the camera. 'Oh, it's blue!' Phil clapped and put it on. 'Wanna hear a joke, Dan?' He looked at the little piece of paper.

'Oh god, do I have to?' I laughed.

'Why does Santa have three gardens?' He grinned.

'I don't know, Phil, why does Santa have three gardens? I asked, exasperated

'Because he likes to ho, ho, ho!' Phil burst out laughing and I rolled my eyes.

'What gift did you get?' I ask, desperate to change the subject.

'Some marbles, I think' Phil opened the little bag and held up a marble. 'Let's pull your one!' He put the joke paper and marbles on the counter and I handed him the cracker. He managed not to stumble this time and I pulled out a little orange hat. 'Now put it on!' Phil laughed as I pulled it over my head.

'Want to hear my joke?' I asked and Phil nodded. 'What do you call a cat in the desert?' I asked again.

'Hmm, a sand cat?' Phil shrugged.

'Not quite, you call it Sandy Claws!' I gave the camera another thumbs up and then put the joke aside.

'What gift have you got?' He looked at the cracker.

'Um, a screwdriver' I laughed as I held it up. 'Well, it might come in useful but you know what happens now?' I put the screwdriver aside too.

'A Dan and Phil festive dance montage?' He asked.

'Yes!' I laughed and started dancing. The worst part about making a montage was that you had to dance more slowly than usual to avoid looking really weird when it got sped up. There was also never any music because that would get sped up. So, Phil and I just danced kind of slowly and with no music for 10 minutes until the timer rang.

'And now everything should be ready' I opened the oven and took out the turkey, potatoes and stuffing while Phil took the peas off of the hob. We carved some of the turkey while singing Christmas songs, then dished up some potatoes, peas and stuffing. We finished up the video and carried our plates through to the table.

'You know what, Dan?' Phil set his plate down across from mine. 'I really enjoyed cooking with you' He grinned and ate a mouthful of stuffing.