Chapter 25

I tried to take some deep breaths without Phil noticing, but it didn't work.

'Dan, are you alright?' He asked, frowning.

'Oh y-yeah, I'm fine' I stuttered.

'Dan' Phil asked again. I gripped the ring box and took a final deep breath. I looked up into Phil's beautiful eyes and smiled. It was clear to see that I was shaking and it wasn't even cold.

'Phil, I need to ask you something' I took one of his hands in mine and grinned.

'If it's something about anime, Dan...' Phil laughed.

'No, no! What do you take me for?' I laughed back, blushing slightly. 'No, I need to ask you about something more important than anime'

'Something more important? Are you feeling okay?' Phil was almost in hysterics.

'So, Phil, the last few months have been pretty crazy for us' I started, trying to stop Phil from laughing. It was slowly working. 'I mean, what with you disappearing and leaving notes for me like I was in some sort of bad crime drama'

'Don't bring that up' Phil cringed.

'It was your decision! But anyway, while you were gone I had some time to think about you' I squeezed his hand slightly. 'And I realised that I r-I really love you'

'You're breaking up?' Phil looked sad for a second.

'No, Phil! Please let me finish?' I pleaded, desperate to ask him before the fireworks started.

'Okay, but I'm slightly worried' He laughed.

'Anyway, I really love you. And I have done for a while. I just never really allowed myself to love you, if that makes sense? I was always in denial because like, you're my best friend. Who dates their best friend? But when you were gone, I realised how much I rely on you to make me feel better and cheer me up'

'Awh Dan' Phil grinned. There was a small group of people gathered around us, probably waiting for what comes next. They gingerly sipped wine out of their glasses and spoke in hushed voices. I didn't let them bother me and spoke a little bit louder, my confidence growing with every word.

'And I mean, you're getting old now! You're like almost thirty and you've not settled down'

'Dan?' Phil had started to realise what was happening.

'And I hope you don't mind, but I have a really important question to ask' I started, but I had timed everything wrong and the fireworks went off. Phil turned to look at them and I put an arm around him. The sky lit up with all different colours and the different fireworks were pretty much endless. The whole of the beach illuminated and I looked up at Phil. He had the most precious expression of amazement on his face. I was so in love with him, I just hoped he said yes. I hadn't actually had time to think about that yet, but if he did say no it would be so embarrassing. Being rejected in front of everybody else here? A loud firework shook me back into reality and I looked up at the sky. It was a pink one that exploded in the shape of a love heart. More of them burst into life all over the sky and then the sky went back to black. I found it kind of difficult to see because I'd been looking at the light for too long. Phil turned back around and all attention came back to us.

'Wasn't that amazing?' He clapped.

'I know, I wasn't expecting that!' I laughed.

'Anyway, what did you want to ask, Dan?' Phil smiled. My breath caught in my throat and suddenly, I was shaking again. But I knew I had to do it now or not at all. I took a deep breath and looked Phil straight in the eyes. I got down onto one knee and opened the little box. Phil put his hands over his mouth.

'Phil Lester, will you marry me?'