Chapter 19

Phil bought me a coffee and we walked over to the departures lounge together. I never realised that an airport this small would have so many little concessions in it.

'Hey Dan?' Phil asked and I turned to look at him. 'How about we buy some sweets for the long journey ahead of us?' We wandered over to the newsagents and browsed rows upon rows of sweets.

'I think boiled ones would be better' I grabbed a bag of colourful ones off of the shelf and looked over to Phil. He had at least half a dozen bags of chewy sweets in his hands and he was grinning like a kid in a candy shop.

'But Dan, these ones are really nice' He pretended to pout and showed me the bags.

'Phil, I don't think you can fit that many into your hand luggage' I tried to reason with him.

'Can I get three bags?' Phil put a few back.

'Fine, I'll get three of these too' I turned to pick up two more bags and we headed to the self-service checkout.

'These things annoy me' Phil grunted as he tried to scan the barcode. Eventually we managed to scan everything and pay without getting the dreaded "unexpected item in bagging area" alert. We packed the sweets into our bags ready for the super long journey ahead of us and walked back over to the departures lounge.

'How long until our flight?' I asked Phil as I checked my phone.

'Um, 10 minutes until we can board' He was so excited. I held up the camera and pressed record.

'Tell everyone how excited you are' Dan laughed.

'I'm going to see koalas again!' Phil clapped and ate a sweet. I ended the video and played it back.

'You look so cute oh my god' I gushed. 'Mind if I post this?'

'Not at all, I just want to see koalas again!' Phil ate another sweet.

'You won't have any left if you keep eating them' I laughed. The next fiver or so minutes consisted of us taking videos of each other and my failed attempts at stopping Phil from eating so many sweets. Suddenly, a voice came over the speakers.

'Gate 10 for Australia is now open'

'Dan! That's our flight!' Phil jumped up. I grabbed my bag and walked with Phil over to the gate. We scanned our boarding passes and climbed down the stairs. Well, Phil kind of jumped down them. 'I'm so excited!' He laughed.

'Really? I never realised' I said sarcastically. We climbed up another set of stairs and onto the plane. We found our seats and sat down. Phil had the window seat and was even happier. There were little TVs built into the back of the seats in front of us and cup holders in the arm rests. The seats were comfy and the flight attendants provided everyone with socks. Phil started flicking through the channels an settled on one playing a children's cartoon. I started watching the news and took a bag of sweets out of my hand luggage. I looked over at Phil, who was shoving handfuls of sweets into his mouth. 'Phil!'

'What?' He asked through a mouthful of sweets.

'You'll end up with no sweets left' I rolled my eyes. Phil put the packet away and we paid attention to the flight attendants at the front who were doing the safety briefing. It didn't last too long and soon we were being wished well by the captain of the plane.

'Hello folks, I'm Andy and I'm your captain for today' He spoke with a soft Australian accent. 'Today's flying conditions are perfect with just a chance of light turbulence' Phil seemed relieved and settled down into his chair. 'I wish you all a safe journey.' The engine started and the plane lurched forward and taxied onto the runway. I grabbed Phil's hand and looked at him. We both grinned at each other as the plane took off, ready for the holiday of a lifetime.