Chapter 21

We had landed at Gold Coast Airport which was really busy, but I had booked a hotel not too far away. Phil and I pulled our suitcases behind us as we wandered over to the nearest taxi rank.

'I can't wait for the koalas' Phil clapped.

'You're not being stereotypical at all' I laughed, rolling my eyes. I had picked up a little leaflet from inside the airport which gave information about things to do in the nearby area.

'Anything interesting?' Phil looked over my shoulder as I read.

'Yeah, there's some really good stuff. What about a Thai massage?' I asked.

'Hmm, perhaps. Anything else?' He was still looking over my shoulder.

'There's a shopping centre, a mini-golf course and lots of beaches' I looked up as a taxi pulled up.

'Nothing about koalas?' Phil looked sad as we climbed into the taxi.

'There's a wildlife reserve, apparently' I pulled my suitcase in after me and settled in my seat. Phil climbed in and gave directions to the driver.

'Do you think they'll have koalas then?' Phil asked, returning to our previous conversation.

'I don't know, Phil, should we go and find out?' I ask. Phil nods excitedly. He was so cute when he was excited, and he was definitely excited about being in Australia. I was so excited too, it had been so cold back in England and I had missed the warmth of the sun. The taxi pulled up outside a reception area and we thanked the driver. After struggling to get our suitcases out, we walked up to the front desk.

'It doesn't look that big' Phil frowned.

'They're holiday apartments, Phil' I laughed as we walked through the main doors.

'Oh, that makes sense' He laughed with me as we approached the receptionist. He gave us our room keys, a huge pile of leaflets about things to do locally and a warm smile. Phil and I wandered up the stairs to our apartment for the next week; a beautiful room overlooking the nearby sea. Phil ran over to the bed and flopped down onto it. 'I want this bed!'

'Phil, this is the only bed' I laughed, opening my suitcase and unfolding some of my clothes.

'Really? Can't you sleep on the floor?' Phil whined with a smile. I shook my head and threw a shirt at him. I started hanging my clothes into one half of the wardrobe and put my shoes next to the wall. 'What time is it?' Phil sat up.

'Um, it's almost 4' I looked down at my phone.

'Can we eat soon? I'm starving' Phil went over to his suitcase and started to unpack.

'We'll unpack, look around here and then see what we can have for tea' I laughed. I filled a draw up with socks and underwear and put some of the books I had brought with me on top of the cupboard. After about half an hour, we were both fully unpacked.

'Can we look around now?' He jumped around. I laughed and followed him out of the room. There was a huge swimming pool and a spa too and of course, the beach was really close. We walked down to it and Phil ran around on the sand. I stood and watched him, being so excited and happy. It warmed my heart and put a huge smile on my face. He was so energetic. He tripped over his own feet and fell onto the sand, but he was still laughing. Someone as happy as Phil was such a good influence on my life. He came running back over to me, brushing sand off of his shirt.

'Are you okay?' I asked with a slight laugh.

'I'm great! This is so fun!' He jumped up and down again.

'Why don't we get something to eat? We can come back again tomorrow or something' I grinned and he bounded off back towards the hotel. I ran off after him, grinning as much as I could.