Chapter 4

Had he snuck back in since I left to meet PJ? I still couldn't remember seeing it as I left, but it was the same colour as the wall paint and it was tucked away in the corner, so I might have missed it. I took it off the wall. Why was he sorry? It was my fault that we argued, wasn't it? I turned the note over and found the letter "M" written on the back. I frowned. Had Phil left notes for me? I walked back up the stairs and into the bathroom. There wasn't a note anywhere. I yawned and remembered how I was supposed to be asleep at six in the morning. I climbed back into bed and rolled over.

When I woke up again, it was because my phone was buzzing. I grabbed it and frowned. "Unknown number - Bathroom". I tried to find out who the number belonged to, but there were no clues. I dialled the number too, but it went straight to answerphone. I walked down to the bathroom and looked around. There were still no notes on the wall. But... as I turned to leave something caught my eye. A black note on the wall tiles. I held it up to the window. The faintest appearance of an "H" made itself apparent.
'Is Phil leaving clues?' I asked aloud. The "M" note was still on my bedside table, but as soon as I got back to my room I pinned it up along with the new "H" note. I sat down on my bed and studied the two notes. It was probably a word starting with "H". It couldn't be "HM" though, that wouldn't make sense. But "MH" doesn't make sense either. I searched my room, there couldn't have been a note in there, could there? There was nothing in my wardrobe, nothing on my piano and nothing behind my door.
'What if a note gets left in Phil's room?' I asked myself. 'I couldn't go in there!' I stuck my head round the door and looked across at Phil's room. It was about 3 in the afternoon now. I had slept for ages, but I had been up crying a lot, which had exhausted me. If I was honest, I was still tired. I picked up my phone and called PJ again.
'Dan?' He asked.
'PJ' I said.
'Dan! How are you?' PJ sounded glad to speak to me.
'Confused, there are notes appearing all over the flat' I said.
'Really?' PJ asked in a confused tone, but he still sounded happy.
'Yeah, they've got letters on them' I walked over and looked at the notes.
'Which letters?' PJ asked.
'Um, "M" and "H"' I said. Someone laughed in the background. 'Who are you with, PJ?' I asked.
'Me, uh, nobody' PJ sounded nervous. There was more laughter.
'Anyway, what do you think the letters could mean?' I asked. There was no answer, only faint murmuring in the background. 'PJ?' I asked. There was another laugh that sounded exactly like Phil's laugh. Then, the line went dead.

I put the notes back on the wall and put on my shoes. If Phil was hiding at PJ's, I was going to be so mad. I grabbed my keys and walked down the stairs. PJ's house wasn't too far away. The underground journey seemed to go much more quickly than last time. Now I was curious, not upset. I knocked on the door of PJ's house and after a couple of minutes, he opened the door.
'Oh, hi Dan' he looked surprised.
'Hi, the phone line went dead' I smirked.
'Oh no, there's terrible reception in this place' PJ gave an awkward laugh.
'Really?' I asked in a sarcastic tone.
'Would you like a hot chocolate?' He asked, holding the door for me.
'If that's okay' I smiled as I followed him inside. However to my surprise, the house was empty. 'Have you had anyone over lately?' I asked.
'Actually, I haven't. I feel alone now' He laughed. I rolled my eyes as he put the drink down on the table and sat across from me.
'There was laughing in the background of the phone call too, it sounded like Phil' I looked over at the TV.
'I had YouTube running in the background, it was one of Phil's videos' PJ smiled. At least I had cleared that up. I finished my drink and had a chat to PJ about how I was coping without Phil. I hadn't run out of food yet and there was still a large stock of cereal in the cupboard. PJ waved goodbye as I walked back towards the city.

I grabbed a bubble tea for the underground journey back home. I'm still sure it had been Phil. What if this was some harsh act of revenge for the argument? Phil couldn't have left, he wouldn't cope on his own. He'd run out of food and have a mental breakdown when trying to decide what kind of bread to buy. There was no reason for him to leave either, we've argued before. As I opened the front door, I checked for more notes. If this was Phil's doing, he was being really sneaky about it. Usually Phil knocks loads of things over when he moves around. I took off my shoes and sat down. The house was beginning to feel less empty; Phil had been gone for a couple of days now. I watched a bit of TV and went for a shower.
'He'll come back' I told myself as I dried my hair. 'He always does'. When I clambered into bed, I took another look at Phil's phone. There was nothing except his lock screen. I fell asleep easily.