t w e l v e

Dan walked to the gas station that was only a few blocks from his house. His face was covered in tears, he was hyperventilating and his hands were shaking.

He was taking in everything that had just happened. Every word that was said. He didn't know his parents would react that badly.

As he approached the gas station, he saw Phil's car. He started running while trying to keep his backpack on his back. His legs were still shaky but he ran as fast as he could. He was still wincing from all the bruises on his side. Some of them had subsided due to the long shower he had, but most of them were still there.
Once got to the car, he could barely breathe. His lungs felt like they were being set on fire.

Phil got out of the car and took Dan into his arms.

"Is everything okay?" He asked.

Dan was still breathing heavily while shaking his head mouthing 'no'.

"Get in." Phil said while opening the door and helping Dan into the car. He grabbed Dan's backpack and set it down near his feet. He shut the door and ran to the drivers side of the car, awaiting what had happened to Dan.

"Dan, what's wrong?" Phil asked worryingly.

"I came out..." Dan responded, gaining his breath back.

"Wh-? You did?" Phil asked, his eyes wide. Phil began to smile until he saw the look of despair on Dan's face.

"They yelled at me... My dad hit me." Dan said holding back tears. His voice was only a whisper. Phil looked at him wide eyed. He didn't know what to say. He pulled Dan into a hug and held his head while Dan began to cry.

"It's okay, you're coming with me. Just like I told you this morning. You don't need to deal with it anymore..." Phil said reassuringly.

"Phil, I c-can't. You'd get frustrated with me, I know it." Dan said, still hugging Phil as if he could disappear if he didn't hold on.

"I would never." He said whispering into his ear. Dan shook with fear and anxiousness every time he cried. All Phil could do was hold him tightly.

After 15 minutes of Phil coaxing Dan, he finally was able to calm down and pulled away from the long hug that had been happening.

"I'm going to miss you." Dan said flatly.

"You're coming with me, whether you like it or not." Phil said looking Dan dead in the eye.

"Phil.... I can't."

"Why not?" Phil asked. He wasn't going to give up.

"I'm not your burden to deal with." Dan said, tears coming down his face again.

Phil grabbed Dan's face, cupping it in his hands, making him look at his eyes.

"You are not a burden. Not to me, not to anyone." He said, and he went in for a kiss, and they stayed that way for a while. Once Phil pulled away, he began to speak.

"You're coming with me, okay? I'm going to take care of you, and you're going to come help me take care of my grandmother. And then we'll get our own place, and we'll be happy. Okay?" Phil said. He managed to make Dan smile, and he knew it was a real smile too.