f o u r t e e n

The two men walked to their car, after coming out of the mall.

"You really didn't need to buy me all that stuff, Phil." Dan said as he was putting the bags he had in the back seat.

"I know. But I just, I think you need to be treated really well once in awhile. And like I said, my clothes don't match you." Phil said laughing a little bit.

Dan sighed and looked at Phil.

"Thank you." He said walking over to give Phil a hug. He was shorter than him, which made Dan have to hang on to him.

"Of course, babe." Phil said kissing Dan slightly on the lips. They got into the car and drove to back to Phil's place.

They started to drive down the highway, it was when Phil started to speed up, Dan began to get nervous. He started to bite his lip. He didn't know what to do. He saw that Phil's speed had gone up to 90 on a 70 mph limit.

"Phil...Phil slow down." Dan said.

Phil seemed to ignore Dan, only stepping on the pedal even harder, causing the car to go faster.

Dan began to scream when he noticed a car ahead of them.

"Phil! Stop it! Now!" Dan screamed, his voice cracking and his face turning red.

Phil ignored Dan's helpless pleads and continued to speed up, until the car finally stopped.

And it all went black....

______________________________

"Daniella... Wake up please..."

______________________________

Dan woke up to the smell of antiseptic and stale hope. He began to panic when he realized there were tubes going through his nose. He couldn't feel anything below his stomach and he began to get scared even more.

He pushed himself up, wincing at the pain of the IV stuck in his arm. He looked around for the nurse button and pressed it as many times as he could.

A nurse came running in and when she saw Dan up, she immediately yelled for a doctor.

"Ms. Daniella, you're up?" She said. She stood by the door, awaiting the doctor.

"Oh! Ms. Howell!" The doctor spoke.

"How are you feeling?" He asked Dan.

"I'm not 'Ms. Howell' and I'm not 'Ms. Daniella' so please, do not call me that." He said with a raspy voice.

"But your mother-" the doctor began to say before he was cut off by Dan.

"Mother? How did she find me? I was with my boyfriend...and we were in a car... And he was going fast...and...and..." Dan lost his train of thought because he couldn't think of what happened next.

He was too confused.

"Your mother was the contact that the police officers found and decided to call after they arrived on the accident." He told him.