t h i r t e e n

"Come on, Dan. We have to." Phil told Dan who sat on the couch avoiding eye contact.

"I don't want to." He said.

"You have to. You have to try, and you have to get your stuff too." Phil said. Dan began to realize that Phil did have a good point.

"I guess." Dan said muttering.

"I'll be there with you." Phil told him.

"I don't think they like you anymore..." Dan said looking worryingly at Phil.

"It doesn't matter if they do or don't. Go get dressed and then we'll go, and if they allow you to get your stuff, you get it and we're gone. Okay, Danny?" Phil told him.

"Okay..." Dan said.

Dan got up and walked to the bedroom that he had been sharing with Phil for the last week. He had mainly been wearing only Phil's clothes considering Dan's were a bit too feminine for him. Phil obviously understood and didn't really care that he basically gave half his wardrobe to his boyfriend.

Dan went through the drawer he had been sharing with Phil and found a purple shirt and a pair of black jeans. He quickly threw them on and put on a pair of black shoes. He walked into the bathroom and brushed his teeth, and brushed out his week old hair cut. He took a deep breath and walked into the room where Phil waited for Dan, near the door to leave.

"Are you ready, Dan?" Phil asked him.

Dan nodded and outstretched his hand to Phil who took it. They walked out the door, and down the steps, and through the parking lot to get to Phil's car. Phil opened the door to Dan's side and allowed him in. Phil got into the other side and started the car.

"It's okay, Dan. The worst they can say is 'no', and if they do, then you still have me." He said and leaned over to kiss Dan.

Dan had realized what true sadness was. It wasn't hiding yourself from people, it was them not accepting you. He sighed and stared out the window. Phil placed his hand on Dan's knee and squeezed it. They stayed like this till they arrived at Dan's old home.

Dan got out and took a deep breath. It had been just about a week since he had last been here, but it didn't feel that short to him.

He walked over to Phil, who stood there holding out his hand for Dan for the second time today. Dan took it and they walked up to the door. Phil rang the doorbell and waited, keeping a tight grasp on Dan.

The door swung open.

"Daniella? What do you want?" Dan's mother answered the door.

"I want to retrieve some of my things. Can we talk?" Dan stuttered out. He was surprised he could say anything at all.

"Why? Why would I let you in? And why would I let him in after him being so rude to me?" She said defensively.

Like she's the victim in this situation, Dan thought to himself.

"First of all, no one was rude to you, you were rude to everyone else. And if you are denying your son to get his things, and get into his house, then you are a disgrace to the entire your world." Phil told Dan's mother.