Chapter 4

CHAPTER FOUR

It had been 2 weeks since Max met Mia. We hadn't talked nor seen each other again ever since. A part of me was slightly disappointed and... Hurt. I had hoped that meeting his daughter had made him notice the mistake he made by letting us go. Another part of me had been relieved. I didn't have to worry about Max barging into Mia's life and trying to control everything. I had been able to keep everything under my control for a year, I didn't need him taking it away from me now. If he did I would not only lose control over our lives but also the complete control I had over Mia. He couldn't make any decisions concerning Mia without my consent. I mean, he was her father and he had certain power - you could say - over her but Mia had been my responsibility. She wasn't to him.

Mia and I were spending Saturday afternoon with my mother Claire, father Jack, sister Bliss and her fiancé Reeve. You could say it was a family day. We were on our way to meet them at Mum's house.

I parked on Mum's driveway and started to get Mia out of her car seat.

"Are you ready to see everyone? Uncle Reeve and Aunt Bliss are here"

Mia replied by trying to clap and let it out a cute giggle. I couldn't help but laugh back. She, Reeve and Bliss had this 'special bond' as Reeve had named it. She always had a good time with any of them, never got upset for spending too much time without me which was very rare. I didn't blame her though. She was completely spoiled whenever she was surrounded by them.

I made my way to Mum's porch with Mia on one arm and her bag on the other as I rang the bell.

"Ella!" My sister greeted me by hugging me, later turning her attention to Mia. "Hey girlie," Bliss said taking Mia from me as I closed the door. "Everyone's in the back"

I followed her to Mum's patio. The BBQ grill had been set up already and Reeve was at it cooking a few burgers.

"Keep it up, Crestwell" I shouted to him. He turned around and gave me a thumbs up as I laughed back at him. A big blanket with small cartoons was set near their table, were my parents were sitting, for Mia.

"Darling!" My mother approached me giving me a kiss on the cheek.

"Hi Mum" I smiled

"How are you? Have you talked to Max again?" And she didn't waste any time to ask about him as she whispered the last question. Mum was being very persistent about me trying to reconcile my relationship with Max for Mia's sake - according to her. I wasn't stupid though, I knew she wanted it for my sake also.

"No and Mum, please. Let's not discuss this, right now. It's not the right moment" I hissed quietly. Dad came and gave me a hug, interrupting my mother as she was about to reply. "Hi Dad" I smiled at him, as we pulled away.

"How are ya, pumpkin?" His nickname for me wasn't my favorite but I had never told him.

"I'm fine, been a bit busy with work and Mia but everything's good."

After the burgers were ready we sat together on the picnic table while Mia played and tried to crawl on the blanket beside us. Bliss and I headed to the grill to get more burgers when she said "She's gotten so big" as she watched Mia.

"I know. I can't believe she's going to be 4 months old next week" I said.

"Mum told me what happened with Max a few weeks ago"

"Oh" I responded as I rubbed my temples in frustration. I wished Mum could keep certain things quiet. I mean, Bliss would have found out sooner or later since Reeve had been with me when Max appeared but I knew Reeve wasn't a snitch though. I didn't want to discuss our current situation with any of my family members. This was something between Max and I only.