Chapter 9

CHAPTER NINE

Max picked us up at the hour we had settled for earlier in the phone. He was wearing dark grey pants with a white shirt that was slightly unbuttoned at the collar. He was leaning against his black Range Rover when I spotted him at the entrance of the building.

"Hey," We greeted each other, hugging. Mia - like always - started to lean forward, away from my arms, trying to get into Max's. She was very fond of him lately. I didn't blame her though. Max could charm anyone without even trying. I was glad she got along with him, all of this would have been harder if she hadn't. "You look beautiful by the way, Ella" Max spoke with a shy smile on his face.

"Thank you" I had a black & white zig zag mid-thigh length dress with black open-toe heels and a red small purse. My makeup was simple with just blush, mascara, and light pink lipstick. My caramel brownish blonde hair was loose with natural curls from the bun I had the entire day.

Max helped me settle Mia's car seat from my car to his. He had demanded we used his car this time because if we used mine I would probably end up driving and it was unacceptable on his terms since everything was on him tonight. Even though transporting Mia's car seat from one car to another was hard work, I was appreciating his gentlemanly actions towards me - or should I say us. It felt like before and this was what he and I were looking for right? This was one of the many reasons he asked for a chance to prove himself and I have it to him? I felt relief knowing he wasn't taking his time with us for granted.

I still didn't know where we were going to since Max had replied saying he wanted to surprise me whenever I demanded an answer. Mia had remained calm during the drive to God knows where, occasionally doing one of her shrieks or giggling whenever Max and I said something. She looked content, which also made me feel relieved and happy. Her happiness came before mine ever since she was born and I planned on always keeping it like that.

"So what do you think?" Max asked as we entered the parking lot of our destination. It was the small yet elegant Italian restaurant he had taken me on our first date as a couple. I turned to look at him, completely speechless by his thoughtful gesture. He had a grin on his face, indicating how pleased he was with himself for doing such thing and for my reaction to it. Max parked his jeep and helped with Mia.

I assumed he had already made a reservation since we were directed to a table for two with a high chair for Mia next to it as soon as we entered the restaurant. I was completely satisfied and impressed with the amount of effort he had put into tonight. It showed how he really wanted this.

We chatted for a while before ordering.

"You never answered my question," He reminded

"What question?" I frowned

"What do you think?" He repeated, referring to the restaurant and tonight.

"I'm quite impressed but it would take more than what you've done until now for me to be completely impressed," I joked trying to suppress a smile.

"I'm wounded," He placed his hand over his heart "I'll keep trying though and at the end of the night, I'll ask you again. Deal?"

"Deal"

Our food arrived, interrupting our chat. Max and I had ordered the same dish; Fettuccine Alfredo. We kept quiet while we ate, glancing at each other occasionally. I dipped my finger in some of the pasta sauce to let Mia taste it. After the first taste she kept asking for more, opening her mouth and leaning forward.

"Okay, okay. I'll give you more but stay still." I said between laughs "Mia, baby please"

Max was trying to contain his own laugh at Mia's desperateness for more as he watched me with her. "Let me. I'll take care of her" He said, standing up from his chair and getting Mia out of hers. He sat again and placed Mia on his lap, letting Mia have some of his pasta sauce once in while until we were done with our meal.