Chapter 25

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Eventually, like suspected, Max asked me about Ava's call. I was coming out of the bathroom, drying my hair with a towel after washing it.

"What did Ava say?" He questioned as he was engrossed in his laptop. Mia was seated between Max and his laptop.

"How she can't wait to fuck you in your office once you're back," I answered in a nonchalant way, looking back at Max to see his reaction as I combed my hair in front of the mirror from the dresser. I had been very crude, which wasn't me.

"What?" He turned his attention to me. Max looked ashen, my response clearly had been something he hadn't been expecting when he asked.

I knew Max had nothing to do with Ava's behavior but I couldn't help my anger towards him. Even though, it should have only been directed towards Ava. It was infuriating how Max's unprovocative and business-like attitude with her - and probably the other women in his company - still made her get the wrong ideas. Ava was so determined to have him no matter what. It was like the fact that he already had a family wasn't a big obstacle in her fantasy.

"She wants to have sex with you in your office and then hang out with me so we can chat about how good you fuck," I repeated, more thoroughly.

My voice was so monotone when I spoke that I knew it was pissing Max off almost as equally as Ava's words. Almost.

"I really don't know what to say" Max murmured as he rubbed his temples.

"I wasn't expecting you to have anything to say" I retorted.

Max closed his laptop, setting it to the side but keeping Mia with him.

"May I ask how do I deserve your snapping, Ella May? Because I'm trying really hard to understand" I turned around and leaned against the dresser after he finished speaking.

"It infuriates how... How.. Ugh I don't even know!" I left the room, wanting to get a minute to cool off.

The pregnancy had my hormones almost flying through the roof, my mood all over the place. Random things, including stuff at work - would upset easily. I was triggered by any stupid thing these days. And this conversation with Max about Ava had coincidentally been one of them. I didn't mean to lash out at him. This only meant he had to have more patience with me at least until the first trimester ended.

I was lying down in the living room couch with my eyes closed when I felt it deepen beside me. I brought my arm to my face, covering my eyes with my forearm. Max caressed my thigh, the delicate feeling of his fingers against my skin causing goose bumps.

"I'm sorry. But bear with me. I won't be fun to be around, at least for a few more weeks. Just have patience and ignore me"

Max chuckled at my last sentence before removing my arm from my face and bringing me up to a sitting position. He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, cupping my cheek and kissing my forehead.

"It's alright. Don't worry about Ava. I'll have a word with her as soon as I can. I don't want you stressing over silly things. It's not only you now, again."

I nodded. He was right. The baby depended on me and my well-being especially on the first trimester. I could easily miscarriage if I wasn't more careful and I, of course, didn't want that to happen. I had never experience one but I knew it would be heartbreaking, not only for me but for Max and the other people who knew about the pregnancy.

"I love you and that's all that should matter. It's just you, me and Mia and hopefully another little one soon. Ava is not in our picture, it's just us." Max reassured me, kissing my forehead.