Chapter 9 - Afraid of the Dark

2 weeks, 3 days

2 weeks, 4 days

2 weeks, 5 days

2 weeks, 6 days

3 weeks

It was quiet, quiet enough to hear the birds sing but not quiet enough to hear the soft breeze. Not a single movement of malice nor loud crashes. No screams and yelling and no running pedestrians. The sky was clear without a single cloud in the sky, a sun in the middle of the sky to announce noon.

No news of threat or destruction, it was all perfect. Maybe too perfect, but no one accounted that since they enjoyed it. Gossip was quick in the city, but there seemed to be no reach on what had happened. Everyone was so naïve. They were all blind by the happiness of stillness to realize that maybe they were missing something so minor yet important.

Everything was neat, not a thing out of its place or touched in a cruel way. It was all perfect.
Birds perched outside a window chirping lightly to each other not noticing the thick air. Letting the light breeze go through their feathers and the sun rays hit them in all the right places to keep them warm.

There was a soft noise very slow and light, though it was all murmured. The movement going upward and downward was strained, though it was the only thing that could be done at the moment in time. Voices could be heard too, sometimes things shuffled around, but other times it was quiet. At first days ago, it was all hectic, people running down halls and some yelling, the sirens dying down; panic breaking out, but there was no reason to, though it was all quiet now. Everything outside seemed lessened, as if there was a barrier between everything and the noise.

A barrier between the darkness and the light just behind the barrier, the light just out of reach. One could say the light was close, but if tried to be touched, it was far. Like there was something missing before reaching contact with the very much deserved and comforting glow of light. But that was on the inside, something very different from the outside.

On the outside the soft noise from before was beeping, loud, and a bit more constant, and obnoxious even. The voices where louder , and some demanding. Others were soft, and the movements were a little less frequent. Although the sky outside was clear and sun shown directly though the window, creating the room bright as if trying to bring color, was dark from the aura surrounding it. Deep, heavy, horrific. The light seemed lessened as every second passed, the sound of happy birds chirping drowned out by the beeping of a machine, now clearer. The rhythm never changed. It was constantly light, and some could say scarce.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

It was like death crawled closer, the light failing to bring happiness into the deathly white room, including everything in it. It was weird, yet scary, hard to even step foot into the room if not for the one and only thing that needed maintenance constantly, for it could give out any minute.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

After a while, the beeping would become endless and just become into a deafening and dragged out high pitched noise. Enough to make one cringe at the sound.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

It never ended, the loudness of the device made anyone in the room nervous, that most likely, eventually would just stop beeping altogether, and turn out to be the noise that one imagines after listening to the machine for too long, real.