Chapter 17 (Y/N)

✒️

(Y/n) stared blankly at the crew, processing what they had said.

"You really want me to go?"

"Yes."

"Well alright, then. What's my challenge?"

"Include something from your past," Grunkle Stan said. "It can be a fun way for us to get to know you a bit better, I guess."

(Y/n) made herself comfortable, eating a piece of popcorn. Her eyes flashed quickly before nodding.

"Here's one," she said. "Demons run when a good man goes to war. Night will fall and drown the sun when a good man goes to war. Friendship dies and True Love lies- Night will fall and the Dark will rise when a good man goes to war. Demons run, but count the cost! The battle's won, but the child is lost."

The crew stared at the girl.

"...You just got that from that weird, Scottish, sci-fi time travel show," Stan said.

"Shushers," (y/n) said. "Just let me finish. By the way- IT WAS BRITISH."

Stan begrudgingly held up his hands in surrender as the crew got comfy, like this story was going to be a long one.

"So, the story is called 'Demons Run'."

~~~~~~~~~

'Demons run when a good man goes to war.'

A young girl was sitting with her friends on her bed, a cardboard panel lying in front of them. The girl held a small wooden board with a glass circular piece in the center.

"Do we all know the rules?" the girl asked, pointing a finger at two boys.

One of the boys was the girl's older brother by seven years, but still happened to be a caring and supportive older brother, thus defying all rules of logic. The other was a good friend of the girls, basically friends from birth.

'Night will fall and drown the sun'

"Spirits in the night," the girl's sweet voice rang, "are you there? Can you make yourself known?"

The planchette moved across the board, pointing out letters before moving back to the center.

"Uh..." The girl's friend said. "What did it say?"

The older brother looked at the two. "It said, 'hi, kids'."

'When a good man goes to war.'

The girl grew excited and said, "What is your name?!"

...

"... 'I can only give a hint'," the boy said.

"Tell meeeeee!"

The planchette quivered, pointing at two letters.

"...'G.W.'?"

The children fell into a confused silence, until the girl's friend asked, "Are we talking to George Washington?"

...

"'Sure, kid'."

Eventually, the girl and the boys said goodbye to the spirit.

'Friendship dies-'

As the girl went to school. She felt eyes following her every move. When she finally found their owner, she was surprised to see that it was her friend.

"Hey-!"

"I can't talk to you anymore." The girl was stunned into silence. "What you did last night-it was too scary!"

"B-but he was nice--"

"I'm scared, ok? No matter what, he won't leave me alone! He said that I'll find peace if I don't see you ever again!"

With that, the girl's heart broke.

'And True Love lies,'

The girl and her brother were watching the news when an AMBER Alert flashed on the screen, displaying the girl's friend.

She cried in her older brother's arms, asking, "They'll find him, right?!"

"...Yes, they will."

'Night will fall'

The girl grew into a depression, but she tried to stay near her older brother, lest the spirit would burden him, too.

"Please don't leave me," she said once again.

"I won't."

'And the Dark will rise'

In the girl and boy's dreams, "G.W." spoke with them.

"Nice to see you kids again. I didn't think that I'd see you so soon. Missed me already, huh?"

The boy picked up his younger sister, trying to shield her from the spirit.

"Why are you here?!" the girl cried.

"Well, kid, all magic comes with a price."

A loud snap could be heard, and the boy screamed in pain, clutching his head.

'When a good man goes to war.'

"No! Stop it!" The girl cried. "I'll make you suffer! I swear that I will!!"

The girl's eyes started glowing a violent red, and the boy's pained wails came to an end; but the girl started screaming instead.

'Demons run, but count the cost!'

"NO! What are you doing?!" the spirit yelled. "This was not part of the plan!"

The boy tried to hold his sister in a futile attempt to ease the pain that he had gone through only moments before.

"Whatever you did," the boy growled, "make it stop!"

"Sorry, kid, the process has to finish. If I stop it now, she'll be in eternal pain; if you let it finish, she becomes a demon."

"Then let me take her place!" The boy yelled. "I'll become the demon, like your original plan!"

"Very interesting." The spirit had a thinking tone to its voice. "You'd risk the bright future that you have for your dumb sibling that summoned me in the first place?"

"Always."

"Alright, let's make a deal. You become a demon, but your sister may or may not be the catalyst to my plans in the near future, and thus has to work with me when that time comes." A silhouette formed in front of the boy, extending its hand.

"Grr-Fine! Just keep her safe!!" The boy clutched the silhouette's hand, disappearing from the little girl's life, forevermore.

'The Battle's won,'

The pain stopped, causing the girl to realize what happened, upon waking up. She looked around her room, quickly running to her brother's.

As she looked into the empty room, the reality of the situation was about to crush her.

Desperate, the girl rushed to her parents' room, asking for her brother.

"Brother?" her mother asked. "Sweetie, I know that you've been asking for a younger sibling, but not now; go to bed."

"No! My older brother--James!"

"James?" said her father. "That would be a nice name for a little boy-"

"Not you, too, Alex." the mother groaned. "Go to bed, darling."

The girl slowly found her way into her room, shutting the door behind her. She fell to her knees...

'But the Child is lost.'

...and cried.

|A/n: This is the origin of her powers, but the second one is probably a tear-jerker. Thanks for reading! See ya next time!!!|