two ↠ inner delicacy

if i say that i can be your
one and only
promise that you'll never
leave me lonely
Pentatonix | If I Ever Fall In Love

Scott Hoying's POV

"Your photos are actually very nice," Avi mumbled as he stared at them. "I can tell you're passionate about photographing."

I smiled, "Thank you, and I am."

"I'd like to put Mitch on this project with you," he said. I widened my eyes, "O-okay."

"He's a fan of this too. He's usually an editor but I noticed you two are acquainted," he winked, a smirk sneaking up on his lips.

I blushed, "Well we didn't meet that long ago," I said. He smiled, "So I've noticed."

"I don't know, honestly, if he was in the right state of helping me though," I said, trying to find the correct word. Avi sighed, "I know of the mental state he's in. I know he's suicidal and depressed, but I don't see how it'd affect him negatively. If anything, it'd probably help some."

I sighed, nodding. "So what's the project anyways?"

He grinned, happy I had accepted. "Well, you need to take photos of anything that is remotely beautiful. Whether it be nature or people, you need to capture it. It'll be on next month's new magazine article: Inner Delicacy. I expect ten photos by January 6th."

I checked the date and noticed it was December 3rd. "Sure, I'll get them."

He smiled, "Alright. I expect you to tell Mitch about this, yeah?"

I froze, "Uh, yeah, sure. I'll tell him."

He nodded, "Great. He should be in the room you were previously in; B."

I nodded, leaving his office with a wave and heading for room B.

I looked at the door hesitantly. Okay, calm down Scott, my inner voice said as I noticed my trembling hands.

I took a deep intake of breath and knocked lightly twice. A small "come in" was heard and I opened the door. "Hi Mitch," I said to the small brunet on the laptop. He nodded and muttered a greeting.

"So, um, Avi told me that you'd be working with me on the 'Inner Delicacy' project. He told me to inform you," I said.

I could tell he was slightly surprised, but he kept a neutral demeanor, "Alright. When do we start?"

I looked at him, "Uh, how about tomorrow? Or today if you aren't busy."

He nodded, "Today at 4, yeah?"

I nodded too, "Okay. Uh, can I have your number for where?"

He looked at me, "Sure," he said, getting up and grabbing a piece of paper and pen. He scribbled something down and handed it to me. "Text me before four hits."

I nodded, "Yeah, alright."

I then left after I mumbled a goodbye. I checked the time and noticed in an hour it'd be four. Okay.

I quickly left the building after saying a bye to Kevin. I became friends with Kevin as he was nice and from what I learned, he could beatbox, sing and played his Beyoncé cello.

I got ready fairly quickly once I reached my home. I fixed my hair and added my snapback.

I nodded at my appearance and texted Mitch as it was fifteen minutes until 4.

Scott:
Hey, it's Scott. where do we meet?

A reply came quickly, as if he was waiting for my text patiently.

Mitch:
how about Starbucks? we can go check out some sites afterwards

Scott:
Sure, yeah. meet you there at 4.

I grabbed my phone and camera before I left my apartment after texting him and flattening out my blue, cloud-shirt and black skinny jeans. I didn't really need to drive, as Starbucks was only about two blocks away from my home.

After about a five minute walk, I entered the coffee shop and looked around for the small brunet. I found him with a coffee and decided to get my own. I ordered one and made my way to him.

"Hi," I said and I must have startled him, as he wasn't focusing on anything except his phone. "Uh, oh. Hi," he mumbled.

"Anything wrong?" I asked, noticing his depressed attitude. "Uh, nothing's wrong. I'm fine. Don't worry about me. So where should we go first? We can go retake those waterfall and bridge photos."

I stared at him as I noticed the bags under his eyes. "Are you tired?" I asked, ignoring his question. He shrugged, "Not really," he lied.

"You're tired," I said. He sighed, "Stop. I don't care if I'm tired, let's just get this done."

I nodded slowly. "Okay, sorry. It wasn't my business and I shouldn't have intruded. Uh, let's go," I said after picking up my coffee and waiting for him to get out of his seat. He did and I followed him since I had no idea where we were going.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"There's this small cottage, I guess you could call it, not far from here. It's there for educational purposes and photos are allowed. I figured we could go there before the waterfall and bridge," he said.

"That sounds cool," I commented and he nodded, "It is. I used to go there when I was younger."

I smiled as he said that without a trace of hesitation.

We walked for a good ten minutes before we made it to this gigantic cottage type of house. It was white, turning beige and was, from what I could see, abandoned. Boarded windows, flowers and green grass surrounded the entire thing. The roof was a bit pointed, being grey.

"Wow," I breathed, "It's super extraordinary."

He chuckled, "Nice choice of words. Let's start taking pictures."

I took my camera from my neck and aimed, making it a bit angled. I felt Mitch's gaze on me but I ignored it even though it sent electric shocks through my body. I captured the photo in about five seconds and I approved of it, showing Mitch. He took my camera and looked, seeming impressed. "It looks really nice."

I nodded in agreement as I stared at the cottage, "It does."

I looked to him, "Should I take a few more?"

He nodded, "Take one more just in case."

I took the camera back and did the same thing, resulting in another successful photo. I showed that one to him and he once more approved.

"Anyways, let's get to that waterfall."

***

a/n:: i'm sorry for the short updates but it's Christmas Eve and I haven't been able to update that quickly or make the chapters a bit longer. i'm considering naming this book 'Inner Delicacy' but then I'd have to change the description and the entire plot of the story is Scott saving Mitch.

i'm gonna keep it @ Saving Mitch for now.