sixteen ↠ break

when you broke down i didn't leave ya
i was by your side
Pentatonix | Where Are Ü Now

Scott Hoying's POV

It was almost New Years Eve, it being only two days away. I couldn't wait for it to be 2016. I wonder what the new year would bring for me and my new friends in LA. But what I didn't expect was a call from Kirstie asking where Mitch was - and the strange part was; I never gave her my number.

"Where is he? Do you know?" Kirstie frantically asked. I widened my eyes, "What's wrong? Why are you asking this? Is he gone?" I asked, standing up and shoving my shoes on my feet. "I... I tried calling him and he never answered, so I obviously go to his house, and he's gone - he's not there, Scott. He never leaves anywhere without his phone, and guess what? His fucking phone was on the ground. He'd never let it be on the ground. Oh dear lord, Scott, what if something happened to him?"

"Calm down, Kirstie. Did you check everywhere?" I asked. "Everywhere, yes!"

I widened my eyes. Oh dear God, the bridge. "It's okay, I'll find him," I said quickly, sprinting out of my house and to my car, getting in and basically speeding out of my driveway and to the bridge as quick as I could. "Please just be visiting for the beauty, Mitch, please," I kept whispering.

Without realizing it, and somehow avoiding police, I stepped out of my car once I arrived and saw Mitch right there on the bridge. Luckily, he wasn't standing on the edge, so I ran to him as fast as I could but slowed down as I got closer, crouching down to where he was sitting against the edge. "Mitch," I whispered. "Are you okay?" I asked. He looked up and I felt myself break. His eyes were red and puffy, his arms were covered by a sweater and he seemed really tired.

"No," he said after some silence. I wrapped my arms around him, despite the fact it was getting dark soon, and the cold was nipping at our skin, but I stayed silent since all he needed was comfort, and me demanding what was wrong wasn't the way to go. We got in a more comfortable position, us both sitting against the rocky bridge, my arms around him. "Mitch?" I gained his attention as he slightly looked to me, "What?"

"I like you a lot," I whispered.

He nodded, and I spoke before he could. "You don't have to say it b—" but I was interrupted. "I like you a lot, too," he said back, resting his head against my shoulder as I pulled him closer. After a very long silence, I decided to break it. "Kirstie is worried about you. I bet Avi and Kevin are, too."

"I know," he stated, staying quiet. "We should go back," I said. He ignored me, "Travis came back."

I widened my eyes, "If you want to tell me, what happened? Why'd he come back?"

"He wanted me back, like always," he chuckled quietly and humorlessly. "I obviously rejected him. I've been here for a good two hours."

"Why'd you come here, then? If you just rejected him and nothing happened, what's wrong, then? Why were you crying?" I asked.

"He threatened to tell the news horrible things about me, when in reality he barely knows me at all," he said. "So he'd be lying," I stated. He nodded, "Yeah. And God knows that people already hate me, so adding onto the hate is kind of overwhelming to me," he whispered. He wiped his eyes and I caught a glimpse of his wrist, causing my breathing to hitch.

"Mitch," I gently grabbed his arm. "What?" He sounded a bit panicky. I slowly pulled the sleeve up, the scars and new cuts already there. He hurriedly pushed the sleeve back up. "You weren't supposed to find out," he said quietly. "I didn't want you to."

"I need to know when you're feeling sad, Mitch. I need to know when you're not feeling okay. I need to know when you need somebody the most but feel like you have nobody, when in reality you have four people that are always willing to help you in your time of need. Mitch... I don't want you to feel this way. I never have. I never will," I intertwined our fingers and squeezed his hand, "I promise you I'll never leave you. I will stay by your side. I don't care if you're in love with somebody else, or if you're getting married or something. I'm here and I always will be. Even if I'm just a shoulder to cry on, okay?" I whispered, taking his wrist and kissing the sleeve of his wrists.

"Me? Liking somebody else?" He laughed, but it didn't sound like it was an amused one. "Impossible."

I smiled, "Mitch?"

"Yeah?" He looked to me. I looked at him and leaned in, connecting our lips and he smiled against our small kiss, despite his previous mood and the fact it was getting way darker than it already had. I kept our hands intertwined, making sure to keep them locked. After awhile, the short kiss ended and I stopped it. He looked away, avoiding eye contact and I sighed. "Are you okay now?"

He shook his head and nuzzled his head into my chest, inhaling deeply. "No, but I'm better than I was before."

"Okay," I said. "I'm here."

"I know. And thanks for that," he mumbled, keeping his head where it was. I rubbed his back a bit, "We should go now," I said quietly. He nodded, standing up as I followed him. "I know. Thank you," he looked up at me and into my eyes, smiling a little. I felt myself soften at his smile and I didn't expect it, but he grabbed my hand and lightly swung it. I let a smile cross my lips as I led him to my car, "So you walked here?" I asked, noticing there was no other car besides mine.

"Yeah I did. I probably would've killed myself if I drove," he said. I nodded, "Okay, get in."

He nodded and we both got in, and as I drove, the only sound to be heard was the very quiet radio and the comfortable silence.

***

a/n: I felt like I owed y'all something and the fact that this is actually really bad kills me but I still feel like I owe you guys since I haven't updated for six days and I feel v bad and I've been sick and I'm so so so sorry... but I promise you the next update will be better okay. I'm sorry that this is also short. :/

I hope you guys had a good weekend — I had an awkward one lmao

byeee