Chapter Twelve: Screams in the Maze

Silence. If you excluded their footsteps, silence.

James gripped Emily's hand tightly as they walked down the endless corridor. The light was emitting softly from the torches secured on the wall, but the flames cast an eerie glow, causing goosebumps to grow on Emily's skin.

She could hear James breathing slightly. And her own heartbeat, which was surely over a hundered miles an hour.

The pair came to a stop, starring at the darkness ahead of them. Either the torches had gone out or there had never been any there in the first place.

"James," Emily whispered. Why was she so scared all of the sudden? She had had so much confidence when they entered the maze. What had happened to it?

"We should turn back," James replied quietly, starting to turn. Emily didn't move. Actually, she was looking at the last torch, not all that far away from them, mounted firmly to the wall. "You know, if we could get that off we could keep on moving," she stated simply.

James groaned, "I'm not going through that again."

"I wish we had our wands," Emily sighed, "We really need them right now..." her voice trailed off into the still silence.

That still silence? It didn't last long. It ended quite abruptly when a shrill scream came from just down the corridor. Emily stepped forward into the darkness, throwing her arms out like a zombie so she wouldn't run into anything.

That's when she fell into the deep water, cold and evil, swallowing her whole.