Chapter Twenty- Dude. We're Ninja.

Aaaaagggghhh. Soooo sooooorrryyyy for a late update. I actually completely finished this chapter, and then my asshat phone deleted it. So I've been kinda hesitant to rewrite it. But, I got over it, so now I'm going to. So blah! :D But jesus, I can't believe it's been almost a year... D:

P.S. This one is also going to be Tommy/ Ichigo's POV.

- - -

"Aaaahhh, my feet hurt!" Deidara complained for the millionth time. I swear, that guy is like a male Charlie. "Why can't I use my clay bird, un?"

"I already told you, brat, it's too conspicuous!" even though I was rather annoyed by the constant arguing the two of them were doing, I had to admit- it was also hilarious. And adorable. It was hilarable.

God. I think I need to get a lobotomy.

Anyway, back to the point.

Their argument had such an effect on me because, well.. if you could see, you would understand. The fourteen year old versions of Sasori and Deidara were trawling alongside me through the forest, already transformed- with some minor changes to their appearances in case of other chunin exam applicants from their home villages recognising them- and clearly late bloomers on the puberty front. Deidara's voice kept breaking, and Sasori was still as small and cute as a twelve year old. Not to mention, he had a really high pitched and girly voice. But you didn't hear that from me.

"But I'm tired from walking so far!" Deidara whined, and Sasori growled, patience finally tested.

"Just shut up, baka! At least you could bring your clay! I couldn't bring my puppets because they would be recognised!"

Yeah. Recognised as the third Kazekage.

I frowned and fidgeted with my new headband for the hundredth time. Leader-sama had given us all a Kirigakure headband and a pass into the Leaf village. I didn't ask where he got them. I didn't really want to think about it.

"Wow..." I breathed as we came upon the Leaf village, passing the guard with ease- though it still made me nervous. It was even more amazing in person, with tall colourful buildings and this wonderful rolling cliffside that formed into the Hokage faces. Sasori and Deidara gave me strange looks.

We finally reached the Chunin exam hall, late (setting Sasori in a very bad mood) because we had walked quite slowly due to the shortness of Sasori's legs and tiredness of Deidara's. It entertained me to see how I towered over them, being sixteen and all.

"You're Kiri nin, huh?" someone asked, and I turned to see these weird bandaged guys, "So are we. I haven't seen you before."

I scrambled not to panic, then quickly said, "We're shinobi, you aren't supposed to see us." I straightened up fully and squared my shoulders, my freakish height coming in handy for once, "We're just that good- you got something to say about that?"

I could have laughed when they left, grumbling. It was strange- for so long, I had been the one afraid, my height more of a hindrance than an asset. But now, I was the one doing the scaring...

"Inconsequential, huh..?" I recognised that voice, and quickly turned, "Well, we'll show you just how inconsequential the sound village really is!"

There was a clash between the four I recognised as Dosu, Kin, Zaku and Kabuto, and I just watched, unbothered by that idiot Kabuto getting his ass handed to him. Charlie, Zoey and I always hated him- though I admit, he was marginally good looking. Sort of. Miles better when he ditched the ponytail.

But no, my eyes were fixed somewhere else. Off to the side was a girl, older than the group of Konoha ninja I recognised, standing with two boys. One of the boys was young and timid looking, and the other two had tiger striped hair and yellow eyes- those same two from my dream. The girl seemed to notice me staring, and I felt a strange jolt as our eyes met. Hers gave off a strange glow, and I looked away. Did this mean that my dream was true?

"Sound ninja! No fighting! Do you want to be disqualified?" Ibiki suddenly shouted, walking into the room.

"Sorry, it's our first time... We got a little excited." Dosu said, and the proctor just shook his head.

"Well, if it happens again you will be kicked out, is that clear?" they nodded, "Alright. Now, everyone enter this room and take a number as you go. This will be your assigned seat. Now!"

We all jumped into action, scurrying to do as we were told- well, I was pretty sure Deidara and Sasori (or Daisuke and Sotaro as they were named for now) were pretending, but who knows? Maybe they were sacred too.

I heard a strangely familiar voice crow "I'm number one!" smugly, and realised that I would soon know who it was anyway- I was seat number two. I made my way to the seat, and sat, finding it to be the tiger stripe-haired girl from my dream/ vision- should I call it that? I didn't like the idea that it would be a vision of the future.

Something about her was very familiar, from the awkward and slightly wary glances she sent me to the way she fidgeted impatiently in the chair. Finally, I supposed that boredom won over.

"Hey, so you're from Mist, huh?" my eyes widened and my nostrils flared- as Charlie would always tell me happened when I had to lie.

"E-er, yeah, just like you're from Konoha!" I said, cussing myself out in my brain. Her eyes narrowed suspiciously, and I wondered if she had caught me out.

"Do I know you from somewhere?" then it hit me.

The voice, the mannerisms, the shape of her face...

It was Charlie. Charlie, with yellow eyes and orange-black hair.

Looking very frail and rakishly skinny.

Holding myself back from snapping at her about diet, I looked away. How should I answer? Should I tell her it's me, and risk revealing the presence of the Akatsuki? Or should I keep quiet, and wait for the opportune moment to tell her I knew her?

"No, I don't think so." I said quickly, facing forward. I would tell her when it was less likely for Sasori and Deidara to overhear- if they thought I had any affiliations here they would drag me straight back to the base.

She squinted at me, and I shifted nervously, but then she shrugged. "Could'a sworn I'd seen you somewhere before..."

I shook my head again, "Nope, don't recognise you at all."

When the test began, Charlie just sat back, looking confident. It seemed she remembered this arc from the manga, and that she would pass no matter what score she got... I, on the other hand, found it interesting to actually get to see what these questions were and try to answer them. And I managed to answer all of them, surprisingly- I think that it is just made out to be harder than it actually is by how tricky Naruto finds it.

I sat back in my chair, and noticed from my peripheral vision that Charlie's paper was full. How the hell did she do that? I didn't even notice her writing! Where did those answers come from?!

I rested my chin on my palm. This either meant she had come across some amazing, indiscriminate jutsu that allowed her to copy down the results, or she did what she usually does in classroom exams. After all, back home, Charlie was renowned as the Master Cheater- able to copy the answers from your test paper without you even noticing. It was a skill she took great pride in, and although I scolded her many a time for it, she still did it and only studied for official exams where we were watched rigidly by invigilators and sat at individual desks. The sneak.

My throat closed up, and I placed a hand over it. I missed her. And Zoey. It had been far too long since we all had a proper talk together, and now Charlie was sat right beside me and I couldn't even talk to her!

In that instant, I decided. In the forest of Death round, I had to escape from Sasori and Deidara and talk to Charlie. Had to. Somehow, we had to find a way back home.

Plus, I was dying to ask where Zoey had gone. I didn't see her anywhere at these exams. Surely she would have been entered for these exams, too?

I frowned. Maybe not. I'd have to ask Charlie when I could.

- - -

There ya have it! Not terribly long, but.. well, comment! :D