Chapter ??- Naruto

I said I wouldn't be posting roday. I lied.

- - -

I released a huge sigh as I walked down the hall, past the kitchen, where Jack sat at the table. He didn't say anything- he didn't even look up.

I sighed again, loudly, entering the kitchen and circling the table once, as I often did when I was distressed. Again, he did nothing.

I pulled three chairs outwards and laid across them, sighing long and loud.

Jack twitched. "You're not going to stop sighing until I ask you what's wrong, are you?"

I just sighed dramatically in answer, and he put his pen down, stopping writing.

"What's the matter?" he asked in forced concern, and I sat up and frowned.

"Jack-y.... you... you don't think I mis-treat my friends, do you?" he blinked at me, and then honest concern filled his expression, with slight anger.

"Oh, Charlie, no!" he exclaimed, "What made you think that?!" the tone of his voice suggested that he thought it wasn't a 'what' and more a 'who'.

I shook my head, "No, no, nobody said it to me... in reality, anyway."

His yellow eyes softened in understanding. "The dream?"

I nodded. "It's the place that I went to... sort of..." I didn't really want to tell Jack about the Naruto and Sasuke part of the 'dream', but I desperately needed reassurance. "I was sent to a place that looked like the rooftops of a bunch of high rise buildings... and... Naruto and Sasuke were there..."

Jack stared at me, then frowned. "So that's why you've been avoiding them..." he smiled softly at me, "You're being silly. It was a dream, they don't really think that of you. I happen to know that Naruto especially thinks the world of you, he's been coming to the flat to try and see you for days."

I blinked, "He has?"

Jack nodded, "I've had to send him away each time. And it's obvious that it's hurting him." he stood, and placed his hand on my shoulder, "You should talk to him, Charlie. Tell him about the dream."

I stared at the floor, then nodded. I looked up at him, "But before I go... I need to talk to you about something else."

He guided me to sit down on the couch, and I did. He sat down next to me as I folded my legs.

"So?" he encouraged, and I bit my lip.

It was hard to say what I did next. Because, if what I suspected was true, it would put both of us in danger, or worse. Make us the danger to everyone else.

"My dream... I'm not sure that it was a dream. I think... I think I was trapped in a genjutsu."

- - -

I pulled in a deep breath as I stood in front of Naruto's apartment complex. My hands were shaking from my discussion with Jack, since it had only further solidified my theory, rather than falsifying it like I had hoped. I thought back, and laughed bitterly at memories of the time when the worst thing I had to worry about was the math test on Tuesday.

I shook my head to clear it; what had happened to me? I used to be so light and bubbly. Fun. And now I'm such a downer! What happened to enjoying life to the fullest?

'Losing a love, family, and two best friends tends to do that to people.' a snide little voice in my head pointed out, and I snarled.

"Shut up!!" I growled, and a woman walking by with a child glanced at me and started to usher the kid along quicker. I growled at her, too. "What, lady?! You never seen a crazy girl tell herself to shut up before?!"