Chapter Eightteen- Sasuke

I scowled at the wooden door anxiously. Naruto had bought my facade, even if it was only fake at first, but would Sasuke? The Uchiha was much more observant than the blonde, and always seemed able to read me with ease. Would I be able to fool him? Or would he read straight through me and demand answers?

I chewed my lip, and rose my tightly clenched fist to the door. Only one way to find out.

It was a matter of ten or twenty seconds after I knocked that lead to the door sliding open. Sasuke's expression was hard, even after he saw it was me, and I sighed. I had expected this.

After all, I had known him quite some time now. He wasn't like Naruto. He guarded his emotions with a thick barrier, and I could tell I had hurt him, as well. The guilt raked at my insides, shredding arteries, organs.

I swallowed the dryness in my throat, "Uh, hey..."

He just nodded stiffly, still half behind the door, and holding it, seeming prepared to shut it in my face. I tried for a cheeky grin.

"So you got company in there or something?" I waggled my eyebrows suggestively, and I just caught the slight whoosh of him sighing. He stepped back, and pulled the door open, clearly gesturing for me to enter.

I made my way easily through the halls of the huge house, and couldn't help comparing it to the flat that was my home. His house was so empty, no clutter, no signs of life. It was so sad.

I came to the back garden that we see so often in the anime after a while, the one with that weird pipe thing that fills with water then overweighs and pours it all out, only to topple back with a tapping noise and fill up again while it's raining. I had often fantasised about sitting in this garden at midnight- the pond and shrubbery must be so pretty in the moonlight. But it was weird, going from seeing it on TV to actually standing in it.

The door made a quiet clack as Sasuke followed me out and shut the door behind us. I sat down on the pale wood decking, choosing to gaze at the garden instead of at him.

"I came to apologise for blanking you the past few days. I have a lot on my mind right now, and needed to think through some things, but that was the wrong way to go about it."

I dared glance sideways at him; he was facing away from me, and didn't respond. I dropped my gaze back to the floorboards.

"If it makes you feel any better, I was ignoring Naruto too..." I glanced up hopefully. Still no response. I sighed, and, not thinking through my words, stood up and started to leave, saying, "Well, I just wanted to tell you. If there's anything I can do to stop you being upset with me, then let me know."

I hated that it was showing in my voice how much I hated for him to be mad at me. I sounded needy and pathetic, like a grovelling girlfriend.

Before I could leave, though, a hand caught me by the wrist. That same strange jolt of electricity that I'd felt in that Genjutsu shivered through me, making the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. But I wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing.

"Sasuke, wha-"

"Anything?" he pressed, cutting me off, not looking at me, "Anything at all?"

I thought back over my words and cringed; what meaningless, derogatory tasks would he have me do? Who knew what kind of things he would think up?!

"W-well, obviously within reason..." I stammered, flinching back as his eyes met mine, filled with excitement and the warmth I was used to. I could have slumped with relief, had I been in a different situation. Had it not been for the calculating and mischievous edge to those onyx depths.