A Shot In The Dark- Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

There has to be a reason why he is here tonight. Surely. Emma thought as she slid in the back seat next to Bennett. He was a sight to be seen. Tonight, there was no suit and tie. Tonight he was dressed in ordinary, every day clothes. He wore a tight black t-shirt and blue jeans, and black converse sneakers. His sandy blond hair was all around his beautiful face, and the stubble on his chin was so sexy. Emma tried hard not to stare, and tried hard to maintain her composure as her heart rate went through the roof. He had such a profound effect on her, and she loved it.

"Mr Dean," She smiled politely.

Bennett's face was serious and guarded. He did not look happy at all. "Emma"

Emma's excitement  dropped. She had a bad feeling this was not going to go well. Was she getting fired? How else could his expression be taken? What was the reason he did not want her at The Tiger Bar?

She sat in silence, staring down at her knotted fingers as Andy drove off. She was too intimidated to even glance over at his direction. Her heart was still pumping away furiously, but now it was for all the wrong reasons.

The silence went on for a good few minutes. Emma had no idea what she was even doing here. If he isn't even going to speak to me, why did he come for?

Finally, she felt Bennett's eye's on her. She continued to look down.

"You are not to work at the Tiger Bar," His voice was demanding. Deep and full of authority. She felt her face heat up.

His choice of words stunned her. He was talking to her as though she was a child. What on Earth was his problem? She remained quiet, not sure what to say. She suddenly felt as though she was ten years old and was told she was not allowed out to play.

He cleared his throat. "Did you hear me?"

Emma took a deep breath and turned to him. "Why? I actually had a great night,"

Bennett's eyes widened a little in surprise, before narrowing."You have been specifically hired to work at The Harbour Room. Seth had no right to send you there,"

"Yes, Mr Dean," Emma relented. She was not going to argue with the boss.

"Is this why I'm leaving?" She asked.

"Yes. It is." He answered bluntly.

Silence descended yet again. Emma hated the fact that Bennett was sitting there so angry. So angry at her and at Seth. Her eyes widened when she had a terrible thought. Would Seth get fired for this?

Summoning all her courage and whatever social skills she could muster, she put a smile on her face and looked right at him. "Seth told me you were in London. How was your trip?"

His steely resolve seemed to fade. Only slightly. "It was for business. That's all,"

Emma wouldn't let that hinder her. She knew, deep down inside that he did not come to get her just to tell her she was not to work at that club. If that was the case, she would not be the first person to get in his car. Seth's words rang in her head. He never speaks to the staff, and certainly does not take them home. This had to mean something. Surely?

"I've always wanted to go to London," She lied. She had never wanted to go to London. She couldn't care less for it all. It was purely a conversation keeper.

It worked. Bennett suddenly looked a little interested. "It is quite a nice place to holiday. If you like the cold,"

Emma laughed, and saw him smile. It was a tight, closed smile, but a smile nonetheless.