A Shot In The Dark-Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Bennett stood beside her bed, dressed in his suit and tie, his face ferocious. His breathing was so hard his chest was rising up and down in quick successions, his face tight with anger.

The atmosphere hung large and heavy, his menacing gaze holding her captive. Paralyzed with both excitement and fear, her heart began to thump firmly in her chest, and it hurt.

A thousand questions ran screaming through her mind,

How did he get in here?

Why is he here?

What does he want?

Why is he so angry?

They stood there, eyes locked on each other. His green eyes were livid, scorching aflame. Her blue eyes wide open, like a deer caught in headlights. She could not bring herself to fathom what he was going to do. A thought flashed into her mind and her subconscious yelled out to her, Tiger Bar!!

"You defied me," His voice was deceptively calm and controlled. She broke free momentarily from his eyes to look down at her feet.

Her heart rate spiked, and nervous tension began to slowly climb throughout her body. She was beginning to feel nauseous. Closing her eyes, the memories and the familiarity of this same feeling was rising from the ashes, but she fought with all her strength to keep it locked away and buried, where it had been for years.

"Look at me when I'm speaking to you," He demanded, and Emma's head jerked up in astonishment.

"How did you get in here?" Was all she could manage to ask. Her voice sounded much stronger then how she felt, and Bennett's eyes widened infinitesimally as though he could not believe she had spoken.

"Your room mate. She let me in." He continued to stare her down.

Oh.

"I thought we had already discussed this. You are not to work there," He was still, rooted to the spot both of his hands balled into fists.

"Why?"

Through her confusion and fear she managed to speak. How can he come in here and act like he has some hold over you? Her subconscious bit out. He hasn't contacted you in a week! She maintained her silence, choosing not to encourage him. She had felt this intimidation before, and even though it was frightening, there was a hint of excitement searing through her which she never quite understood. It was as though there was an unknown intruder in her house, and on some level, he was. The Bennett she had spent (little) time with was not in this room.

Slowly and deliberately, he stalked over to her and put his face right up against hers. So close, their noses were almost touching. Emma closed her eyes and tried hard to fight the electrical current that she felt charging through her. Her breath caught as a small part of her body, way down below began to tingle with traitorous excitement. Not now! You will not get turned on by this! How strange this is always where she headed first. Aroused at this gorgeous man standing so close, bearing such fury towards her. The hair on her scalp prickled. You, you're doing this to him. Excitement sizzled through her. He must like you, he must care, look how angry he is!

"I asked you to look at me. Are you deaf?"

His snide remark made Emma's eyes fly open in disbelief. It was all too real now, she had to continue to fight this. She was not going back there again, not with him. 

"Answer me," He hissed, his breath warm in her face.

"I didn't think it would matter," Her voice was small and pathetic, and she felt like a child. She was