Chapter 5 - Heat

—Bart

My legs eat up the ground as I race for the fallen red comet. I jump over a fallen tree and stop to overlook the scene.

I find a grayish space ship with a long short shape. One end ending in a sharp point, then expanding into a box shape at the other end. The pointed end is almost completely torn off from the ship and buried in the ground. The rest of the ship is damaged and scabbed on the outside.

But there thing that grabs my attention is the glowing red energy coming off from the side of the ship. I immediately zip over to the source, but am forced to take a few steps back as the energy hits me.

Well, energy isn't quite the right word. Heat would be much better. As I immediately being to sweat, and peeking through squinted eyes, I see a figure lying on the ground. The figure looks up, and I see into its white glowing eyes.

The creature's body is humanoid, with its skin glowing bright red save for the white eyes and long hair. The hair seems as if it's a lone flame, white and flickering down its back. As I look at it, I can see that the creature is obviously scared.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm not going to hurt you." I say, I take a step forward, and the heat assaults me, but I stand my ground.

The creature sticks a hand out, as if to tell me to stop. Although I haven't moved, the heat seems to have doubled. My body begins to produce more sweat as my body temperature skyrockets. The creature says words that have no meaning to me, the sounds consisting of sharp 'S', 'M' and 'N', with many 'O' 'A' and hard 'T' sounds. I bring my arms up to shield my face and keep the heat from hitting me directly.

"My name is Bart, do you need help?" I take another step forward, and the heat sucks the moisture from my exposed skin. It's almost too painful to hold my ground, but I'm only a few feet away from the blazing creature.

The creature shifts into a cross legged sitting position, putting both hands out this time and saying a few more incomprehensible things. Then, slowly, the creature puts its hands on its knees and closes its eyes. The glowing white orbs disappear among the bright red on its face.

"I'm not going to hurt you. I promise, everything will be alright." I say as I take a few more steps towards the creature, and I'm almost directly in front of it. I realize now that the heat died down considerably and that the creature's skin color is slowing cooling down from bright red, to orange.

"Are you okay? What's your name?" I exclaim as I watch the creature keep still, but the orange skin turns to a light yellow. Slowly, the light yellow turns to a tanned skin color, and I look at the creature now with no heat coming off of it.

She looks up at me, her bright blue eyes piercing right through me. The left side of her face decorated in dark bruises that run from her jawline up to her forehead. A bloody gash starts from her eyebrow up into her hairline. Her hair remains it's brilliant white color that runs halfway down her back. It's clear that that she's female with no heat or energy obscuring her body. She wears tattered simple gray clothing, and she looks up at me with a concerned expression.

"Is this Earth? Are you a human?" Her voice is small and shaky, as she looks up at me. I hear her breathing, heavy but even. She's controlling herself very carefully.

"Yes," I answer, memorized by her blue eyes. "You're hurt, you need a doctor." I step towards her and she flinches away. I stop, putting my hands up in a nonthreatening way. That's when I notice the scar running across her left collar bone.

"Hey, I'm not going to hurt you. You're save here." I say softly, not wanting to scare her anymore then she already is.

She stares up at me for a long time, her breathing even and controlled. Then she parts her pink lips, "My name is Nova Chitsa Jolon Ominotago."

I give her a funny look. "Your name is what?"

She takes in one more breath before stooping forward and passing out. I dash for her, sitting on the ground and pulling her up against me. As her back touches my torso, heat touches my skin. Is as if her skin is made of flame. The heat isn't too much, and I can handle. I put a hand on the cut across her forehead, slowing the bleeding down. I stare at the bruises that decorate the left side of her face. They're dark and painful looking. Had she gotten in a fight before crashing? She must have been fighting a lot of people for this many bruises.

Remy lands in the clearing, and finds us. She rushes over, checking on me.

"What's going on here? Who's that?" She asks, looking over my shoulder. I look up at Remy.

"I'm not sure, but she needs help. We need to take her to Mt. Justice." I tell her, looking back at the white haired girl.

Remy is silent for a moment, before holding out her arms and taking the unconscious girl. She flies off, and I'm right behind them on foot racing through the jungle.

I can't get that girl's blue eyes out of my head.