Chapter 12 - Blue

—Bart

Nova watches me put a spoonful of cereal in my mouth. As I chew and swallow, she looks down at her own bowl. Carefully, as if it might bite her, she grabs the spoon and gets some Lucky Charms. Slowly, she puts it in her mouth, and chews. She looks up at me with mild surprise, her bright blue eyes wide with excitement.

"This is delicious." She speaks with her mouth full. She chews and swallows, going for another bite.

I laugh, "Yeah, cereal is pretty great. A very traditional American breakfast."

"It's so sweet," she smiles. "I love sweet things."

"You'd love me then," the words are out of my mouth before I register what I'm doing. She looks up at me with confusion.

"You're... sweet?" She asks.

"Oh, um, sweet means like kind, too." I stammer out, finding my cereal bowl very interesting right now.

"Oh, that makes sense." She says lightly, happy.

I curse myself for being so stupid as I eat my cereal. But it's as if I can't help it. I trip up on words when I'm around her. Like I'm not sure how my tongue is supposed to work when I look at her. She's just so beautiful and poised and elegant.

I look up at her when I notice her staring.

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to stare, but you humans are very similar to Torras's, basic body shape and features. But your skin, hair and eye colors are all different. I've seen dark hair, like Remy, but I've never seen red hair."

"Do you like it?" I asks teasingly, she nods in response. I freeze on the spot as I feel blood rush my cheeks.

"Are you alright?" She ask, eyeing my red cheeks. I nod. "I'm just blushing."

"Blushing?" She questions.

"Um, yeah. It's just something humans do when their really flattered, or overwhelm, or nervous." Or all three, but I don't say that last part out loud.

She looks at me for a moment, her eyes traveling from my cheeks, to my hair, then to my eyes. She holds me there, her blue eyes a fortress I don't want to escape.

"You have the most exotic, beautiful eyes I have ever seen. Green." She says softly, looking at me like I'm a beautiful artifact that glitters in the sun.

"My eyes? Nova, your eyes are so bright, and shining. They're like blue stars." I say, smiling.

She looks taken back at this, then she almost looks... insulted?

"Are you mocking me?" She asks, staring at me with mixed expressions.

"What? No! Why would I ever mock you?" I ask, so confused at Nova's reaction. Did I mess up and somehow offend her in her alien culture?

"My eyes are not beautiful. They're blue. How could that be beautiful?" She whispers, looking away. "Blue means liquid, water. Blue is nothing of what Torran's are supposed to be. We are heat, fire reincarnated. We carry the suns in our hearts and the flames on our hands. At least, I would if I was a regular Torran..." She stumbles off, and her breathing becomes hitched. Her skin begins to heat up for a moment before she takes a deep breath.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't be..." She stands up, ready to leave but I don't let her. I walk to her side, facing her. I notice see she's an inch taller than me, and I don't mind it.

"Nova, you are smart, and kind, and strong. You are so many good and wonderful things. To say you're beautiful, well, that just doesn't cover it. You skin is stunning. Your hair is gorgeous. Your voice is lovely. Your words are striking. I can't even comprehend how beautiful you are, Nova." I whisper all the truth out on my lips.