Chapter 14 - Fire

—Nova

Bart and I walk into the mission room, and everyone's eyes land on me. I blush under the attention, but hold my ground.

I glance at Bart, and he's smiling up at me.

"You're costume looks amazing," Remy compliments me, her red armor already own.

I smile at her and go over my costume again. A white crop top with a halter style neckline, paired with white capris with short boots. It exposes my skin to allow more heat to be used. The cloth specially designed to withhold thousand degrees of heat.

"Thank you," I whisper, feeling excited to start my first mission.

"I was thinking we could call you Magma," Bart grins up at me. I glance at everyone else, unsure. I told them of what I could do, and they seem to accept that, but still. It's hard to open up completely and not fear retaliation. They look back at me, waiting for my answer.

"Magma sounds perfect." I grin back at Bart.

"Let's go," Wanda says, dressed in her dark clothes with her hood and cape. Mev is right beside her in a navy blue and white suit. Red and Blue's armor are identical, apart from the color. Bart wears his red and white suit.

We walk through the zeta tube, and end up in a ally way. Upon leaving, we find a four story building blazing with fire and people are screaming.

"I'll get everyone away from the building because I won't be so helpful with the actual fire." Mr. Martian speaks, before flying away to escort a few people into a safer area.

"First priority is getting people out, second is putting out the fire." Red says, turning to us.

"Dusk, you get the first floor and clear a path for anyone coming down. Blue and I will check the second and third floors. Impulse and Magma, you'll both get the top floor." Red orders, and we all nod.

Dusk, Impulse and I race for the front door, while Red and Blue take off into the air, heading for a window on the second floor. Dusk uses a dark tendril to hit the door off its hinges, and flames spill out, heating the air. The feeling is familiar, and doesn't hurt, but I worry for my human friends.

We rush in through the flames and get into a hallway that is filled with smoke and heat. The fire itself seems to be coming off the right in an apartment.

"Stairs!" shouts Dusk, and I push ahead of all of them, sensing the heat. We find the stairs but it's halfway collapsed. I hear a crash somewhere in the building.

"Go!" Dusk shouts, using her tendril to move a plank of wood to cross the stairs and Impulse and I take off upstairs. As soon as we clear it, Dusk takes off down the hall, looking for any souls in the fire.

We get there and see Blue fly through with a man in his arms and he goes out the window. I feel a sudden burst of heat above us, and a rafter gives way. I grab Bart's hand and pull him out of the path of the burning rafter just in time. He looks up at me, his green eyes wide with sweat beginning to form on his face.

"Stay close to me," I tell him, dropping his hand as I become aware of his warmth.

"That won't be a problem," He grins as we take off up the next set of stairs which are thankfully intact.

We get to this floor, and the fire is burning the entire hallway. I shield the heat from Impulse and stop for a moment.

"Can you run fast enough through the fire for it to not hurt you," I ask, looking at him.