Chapter 19 - Overheating

—Nova

Bart opens in mouth in faux shock, "You think I can't handle spicy food?"

I giggle at his expression. "I don't know yet, but I'd love to find out."

"I'll show you sometime," He promises me.

I smile at that, but movement catches my eye, and I look past Bart to see him. He's leaning against the ice cream shop casually. He wears dark sunglasses that conceals his red eyes. With a jerk of his head, he motions for me to follow him, and quietly opens the door to the shop and disappears inside.

Maska is here. My eyes flicker over to Bart in fear, but he seems to be lost in thought.

I can't let Maska hurt Bart.

"I need to go to the bathroom, I'll be right back." I saw quickly, standing up and heading into the ice cream shop.

"Oh, okay. I'll be here." He calls after me, trying to hide his surprise and slight dejection. I want to turn around and reassure him everything's find, but I don't. I can't. Not with Maska just beyond this door.

Enter the shop, I see Maska slip out of the back door, and I quickly follow. I avoid the gaze of the female employee behind the counter.

Enter the back alleyway, Maska back faces me.

"You like that little human pet, don't you?" He voice trembles.

My heart rate accelerates at that. I know that tone. That tone is connected with pain and fear. 

"Maska," I try to found firm and angry, not scared like I actually am. "You need to leave, now. I told you I am done with you."

"What does he have that I don't, Nova?" He whirls around, taking off his sunglasses and revealing his red eyes. His dark hair shines in the light, and he towers over me. "He's just a human! He can't handle your heat, not like me!"

"This is not about Bart, this is about you leaving me alone." I say, but my voice betrays my fear. I watch his hands, which are bunched up in fists.

"I can't leave you alone, Nova! You are coming with me right now." He reaches for me but I step away from his touch.

"I am never going with you again. You are a horrible person, Maska." I tell him, feeling my body heat up.

"Can that human hold you like this?" He demands, lunging forward and scooping me up in his arms as my skin tuns yellow. "He can't handle your heat, your love. I can Nova. I love you." He practically begs, looking into my eyes.

In response, I cock my arm back and hit him square in the jaw. He drops me in surprise and I scramble to my feet, my skin heating up to an orange.

He puts a hand to his jaw, and looks at me. My heart stops as I see the familiar deadly expression on his face.

I hear the faint sound of a door opening, but an explosion of pain enters my face as I reel backwards. I see stars for a moment, before I fall to the ground. My left eye pulsing with agony.

"NOVA!" I hear someone scream, and then I feel the wind rushing. I look up with double vision and see a whirlwind surrounding Maska. Glimpses appear of Maska, and he brings his hands up to make his fire. Through the sheer force of the wind, it snuffs the fire before he can even make it appear. The Torran then begins trying to hit into the speedster surrounding him, but he staggers. Then, his hands reach up to his throat as he falls to his knees. I can see him gasping for air that won't go into his lungs.