Chapter 15 - Maska

—Nova

We scramble to our feet as Maska steps closer to us. Bart tries to move in front of me, but I puts my arms out, shielding him with my body.

He can't see Bart.

"Bart, stay behind me." I whisper to him.

"No, Nova—" he begins but am cut off by Maska.

"Nova, my yoki, I've missed you." He speaks softly. "I knew the fire would bring you. I knew you would come.

"Don't come any closer," I breathe out, hoping he doesn't see my fear. "I am not your yoki."

"Nova, what are you guys saying?" Bart asks quietly. Maska's red eyes land on him before I can block him from sight.

"You've already found some human pets I see." His sweet smile hardening to a snarl.

"Leave, Maska, now." I warn him.

"I am not leaving without you, Nova. I love you, and you love me. I came to apologize for what I've done. Please, you have to forgive me for my mistakes." He pleads, actually looking sorry for what he's done. He steps closer and I push Bart and myself back a step.

No. Maska is going to hurt Bart, he's going to get angry. I can't let him hurt Bart.

"Bart, run." I whisper to him.

"No, I'm not leaving you." He says, "I'm not going to let him take you."

It doesn't matter what he does to me, I'm use to facing his wraith, but I don't say that.

"Bart, run. Now!"

He opens his mouth to argue, but seems to reconsider. To my relief, he zips away. Just as the relief departs, fear washes over me and Maska steps closer, less than ten feet away.

"Cowardly human, isn't he?" He breathes, getting closer. "I'll take care of you, Nova. I'll protect you and love you as you should be loved. Please, come back with me."

"I will never go back to you." I say, but my skin begins to glow yellow as I lose control. Breathe. Just breathe.

"Please, Nova. I'm sorry. I swear it will never happen again." He pleads, his voice breaking as if what he's done to me actually brings him sorrow.

"You say that every time, and every time, it happens again." I whisper, not for one moment believing his lies. Not anymore.

"Nova, please. I need you." He takes one more steps, and he's close enough to touch me.

"You need my power. Not my love."

I see the angry flicker in his red eyes, and I cower backwards at this, awaiting the blow that is sure to follow. He reaches a hand out to grab me.

"Nova, you will come with—" He's cut off by Bart landing a punch on his jaw. As Bart moves away a plasma beam hits him square in the chest and launches him backwards.

Red and Blue land in front of me, both ready with their plasma cannons. Mr. Martian and Dusk flank their sides. I feel the air rush just as Impulse stands beside me. His face set in a mask of determination.

"You are not going to lay a hand on Nova." Bart breathes out.

Maska gets up, his shirt burned but otherwise still standing. He glares at all of us, getting into a fighting stance.

"That girl belongs to me." He hisses out.

"Go ahead," Red says, "Try and take Nova. I'll rip you apart before you can take two steps, and my friends will be glad to help me."

His eyes widen in complete fury and I wince at this. He opens up the palms of his hands and throws his fireballs at us.

Bart picks me up bridal style and races away while Dusk and Mr. Martian jump out of the way and Red and Blue fire at Maska. Smoke and dust fill the air as Bart comes to a stop and sets me down. As the smoke clears, Maska is nowhere to be seen.

"Nova, are you okay?" Bart asks as I turn towards him. I realize my skin is still heated to a yellow, so I take a moment to breathe and calm down. Slowly, my skin turns back to its tan color and I look up at Bart.

"I'm okay now." I lean forward and throw my arms around him. He doesn't hesitate to hug me back.

"You're safe, Nova. I will never let him hurt you." He speaks softly. I bask in the comfort of his warmth before letting go of him.

"I know. Thank you, Bart." I whisper before the others join us.

"Maska's not going to get near you, Nova. We'll all make sure of that," Jaime promises me as he moves to Remy's side.

"You're safe with us," Mev reassure me.

I don't trust myself to speak, so I just nod.

"Come on, let's get back home." Dusk says.

As we begin walking, Bart stays close to my side. His hand brushes against mine accidentally, but I impulsively reach and grab it. He turns and looks at me at this, and I quickly let go.

"I'm sorry, I—"

"No," he says, slipping his hand back into mine as we slow down to the back of the group. Remy turns her head and looks at us for a moment before turning back away, a smile forming on her face.

"It's okay. You're really warm" He says, smiling up at me. His green eyes filling me with warmth that lasts the rest of the night.