Chapter 9 - Heat Waves

—Jaime

Remy and I touch the ground right in front of the alien ship. It's grayish, with a long short shape, with one end ending in a sharp point, then expanding into a box shape at the other end.

Remy had just finish telling me about the alien girl named Nova. Her ships resides a few yards away, still damaged beyond repair. The new ship however, looks perfectly fine.

We stand in front of it, tensed up and unsure of the new arrive. Then, the boxy end of the ship shifts and a door appears, sliding opening. Stepping out of the ship is a rather tall man. His body is muscled and tough, with tanned colored skin and black hair. His ruby red eyes land to us, and it makes me shift my stance slightly just to be closer to Remy.

He speaks, and he sounds angry and full of authority. I hear his voice, but the Scarab quickly translates for me.

"Humans, where is she? The Torran girl?" He speaks impatiently and angrily.

Remy and I share glances, before I say, "Why do you want to know?"

He growls under his breath, and I almost step between Remy and the alien. Heat waves come from off of his hands. He's obviously dangerous. "That is none of your business. Now, where is she? I know you have her."

"Actually, it is our business. You're on our planet, alien." Remy says, and the guy glares at her murderously. Remy continues, unruffled by his threatening look, "And if you want to know where Nova is, you're going to have to tell us your name and why you're after her."

The heat waves coming off his hands increased for a moment, and I swear I see a flicker of yellow, but just as quickly, he calms down. His red eyes looking between the two of us.

"I am Maska Kwatoko Omig Lapu. Nova Chitsa Jolon Ominotago is wanted by the Torran's for murder, and she must be brought to me immediately. I need to take her back to our home planet so she can punished effectively."

My mind immediately thinks of the alien girl housed in our base. I look at Remy in alarmed.

She's thinking hard, unsure, but she looks up at me for a moment.

"Remy, we need to bring him to Nova." I whisper to her, conscious of the alien watching us.

Her face hardens, and I can see she's come to a decision.

"I don't trust this guy. We need to talk to Nova, because I don't think she would be capable of that." She says, sounding so sure.

A large heat signature is sensed by my Scarab, who yells my name.

I tackle Remy away from the oncoming fireball that my Scarab warned me about not two seconds before. The fireball, about the size of my torso, explodes on impact of the ground. We roll to the ground in a tangle of limbs. We barely stand up and fly into the sky away from another burst of fire. We're in the sky now, looking down at the alien whose hands are currently on fire.

"TELL ME WHERE THE GIRL IS!" He screams in rage, before throwing another fireball. I dodge it easily while Remy activates her plasma cannon. She fires it and it knocks him backwards. He quickly gets up, throwing another fireball before disappearing into his ship. Remy zooms to the left to avoid the fireball, and I fly over to her, making sure she's okay. But the time we're together, the ship is taking off of the ground, and soaring right beside us into the sky. Just as it we start to charge for it, the ship's rocket boosters activate and flies into the sky.

Remy watches it disappear as I reach for her hand.

"Remy, are you okay?" I ask as we still float in the air.

She finally turns to me, "I'm okay, you?" She squeezes my hand.

I smile, relieved, "I'm okay too."

Remy has a quizzical expression on her face, she's still thinking hard.

"Do you think what that alien said is true? About Nova?" I ask quietly.

She's silent for a moment, but then say, "I don't know. When she was telling us how she got here, Khori Ja told me she was lying. But, she doesn't seem like a bad person, Jaime" She looks at me with a genuinely concerned expression.

"We all thought that about Wanda at first, Remy." I say gently. Her hands tighten into fists. "Hey, it's okay." I soothe her. "We can just go get M'gann to read her mind, and then we'll know the truth."

She smiles up at me, and it puts me at ease to know she's okay. "You're amazing, Jaime."

"Not as amazing as you. Come on, let's go back to base and tell the others." She smiles widens as I tug on her hand and we fly back to the base.