Chapter 7 - Peace

—Nightwing

I carefully fill up the mug with hot chocolate, not wanting to make a mess on Zatanna's table. We're currently at her apartment in Gotham. I turn around and carefully carry the mug to the living room, where she lays on the couch. She smiles up at me, and it fills my soul with warmth.

I don't take my eyes off of her as I place the mug on the coffee table and knee beside the couch.

"How are you feeling? Any discomfort at all?" I ask, glancing over her. She's in a purple tank top and white sweat pants. One hand rests softly on her stomach and the other reaches out to me. I take it in both my hands.

"I'm fine, Dick. I promise. When Wanda brought me back to life, she must have somehow healed my body too. I'm never felt better." She flashes her dazzling white teeth. Her blue eyes holding mine.

"Besides being extremely exhausted." I add, kissing the knuckles on her hand.

She dismisses it with a wave of her hand, "Well, I am alive, and I wasn't as tired as yesterday. You need to get some rest though, Dick. You haven't slept at all."

"I'm not tired." I say, my grip tightening on her hand. She notices this, and motions for me to come closer. I shift so I sit on the ground, facing Zatanna on the couch. She brings both of my hands to her chest, and rest them over her heart.

"It's okay, Dick. I'm here now." She says softly.

My hands sense the beating of her heart, it's slow, but strong. I feel her chest rise softly with the movement of her lungs. The warmth leaving her skin is heating my hand. Her smell is intoxicating, sugar and lavender.

I lean forward and nestle my head against her neck. She shifts so her black hair drapes slightly across my head.

"I love you Zatanna. I won't let you go. Ever." I whisper against her neck.

"Good, because I don't plan on leaving anytime soon, Boy Wonder." She whispers, her lips brush against my hair.

Even with the warmth of Zatanna right next to me, I still remember the icy touch of her hand when she wasn't breathing anymore. The soul gone right out of her crystal blue eyes. Her body dead still as it laid on the bed, unmoving.

I only notice my body shaking when Zatanna moves her hand. "Dick?" She asks softly.

"Zatanna... I missed you." I whisper, my voice breaking.

She moves her hand and cups my chin, forcing me to look at her.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm here, Dick. I'm right here, and I'm not leaving. You aren't either." She says, breathing warm air on my cheeks. I nod, because I don't trust myself to speak.

She shifts on the couch. "Come here," She says softly.

I move onto the couch, my back touching the cushions while Zatanna shifts on top of me. I wrap my arms around her and she leans her head against my chest. I stare up at the ceiling as I focus on her warm body in my arms. Her hair tickles my arms slightly, but I don't mind. I can feel her body move gently with breaths of air.

"I'm here, Dick." She whispers against my chest. I lean down and kiss the top of her head.

"I love you, Zatanna." I whisper into her hair.

"I love you too." She smiles, getting comfortable against me.

We lay there for an eternity. Just me and her. Eventually, her breathing slows and she falls asleep. I relax, drifting into sleep with Zatanna in my arms.

I'm never felt so peaceful before.

* * *

Nightwing is finally happy, yay! I love Chalant so much. Now to start working on Purple and Noart!

(Thanks to queen-nicolelee for the ship name of Nova and Bart)

—RoseandPaper