Chapter 22 - The Morning After

—Nova

When the morning sun rises, I feel safe. The feeling surprises me, as I look up at Bart. He's still asleep. His red hair ruffled up messily. He's so cute.

I press my cheek against his chest. His bed nice and comfortable. His arms wrapped around me as I snuggle into his chest. After we got out of the water, he took me to his room, and we ended up falling asleep after he gave me a few more... lessons on kissing.

I've found I've like kissing. The warm lips, the sensation, the biting. It's the same effect as an Oya.

Speaking of, I move my arms towards his back. My fingers tracing his shoulder blades. He sighs in his sleep, his breath soft and warm against my neck. I want him so much, and it still amazes me that he wants such a thing as me.

I press my cheek against his heart, and warm up slightly. Giving him an Oya.

He sighs again, and I look up into his one green eye that he opened.

"Morning," he murmurs.

I reach up and place my lips gently against his, then pull away. "Morning."

He smiles, and it makes my heart flutter. I want him so much. He then bends down and kisses my lips, before breaking away. He raises an eyebrow, a mischievous grin on his face.

"May I give you a Oya?" He asks softly.

I stiff at this, memories flashing back to Maska, but I shove them away. Bart is here, and he would never hurt me. The bruises from last night still ache across my right eye. I breath in, and tell him, "Yes."

He gathers me up, mimicking my movements perfectly. His hands moving across my back, over my shoulder blades before stopping. He leans his head down against my chest, above my breasts, right over my heart. His cheek presses against me, and although he's human, I swear he becomes warmer.

We lay there, and I close my eyes, taking in his silent promise to hold my heat, to give me his heat. To love me and keep my heart strong for as long as the suns thrive.

"Like this?" He whispers.

I let out a soft little laugh, "Yes."

He pulls away, and looks at me. I smile back at him, but his lips tug into a slight frown. His hand cups my cheek, his thumb gently touching the bottom of my eyelid. He's gentle, so my bruise doesn't flare up in pain.

"We need to tell the others about Maska. About what he's done..." There's the angry undertone in his voice, but it doesn't scare me.

"Wait. Bart, no." I grab onto him, fear enclosing me as I remember what's happened before. How everyone has rejected me. How Maska could always hurt me.

I feel myself heat up, and force myself to calm down.

"It's okay, Nova. I promise everyone will understand." He smiles encouragingly at me.

I take a shaky breath, calming down. My skin returning back to its tan state. I look up into his emerald and nod.

"Okay. Okay."

We get off his bed, Bart perfectly healed from the burns I gave him last night. I cringe inwardly at the thought, but he reassures me that he heals fast. The only real damage is to my eye, bruise and swollen, but I'll recover from it. I've had much worst.