16. Matt Donovan

16. Matt Donovan

"Where's Damon?" I asked when I finally got my lazy ass out of bed and went downstairs to Stefan and Elena. It was already 2 o'clock, I'd just been very upset about last night and quite lazy.

"We don't know." Stefan said. "But don't waste your time thinking about him."

"Stefan's right." Elena agreed, reaching over to rub my shoulder. "Damon's not worth someone as amazing as you. And he's like 26, that's a little creepy."

"I'm 162," Stefan laughed. "Isn't that creepy?"

"You know what I mean." Elena said and kissed Stefan's cheek. I sighed and looked at the 2 of them. They had it all. I had...nothing? I had no boyfriend, no best friend, no job, no-

Wait. I could easily get a job, couldn't I?

"I'm gonna go get a job." I decided, running back up the stairs to change. I slipped into some black jeans and red vest top, and then I brushed my hair and freshened up.

"Wait, where are you getting the job?" Elena asked.

"I'll tell you later!" I called as I rushed out of the door. I pulled out my ipod and listened to Chelsea Smile by Bring  Me The Horizon. I didn't look like the type to like screamo, but I had a soft spot for Mr. Sykes. 

After walking aimlessly for 10 minutes, I came to find a building called Mystic Grill. I wandered inside and looked around the bar, resturaunt, social type of place. Eventually, I saw a help wanted sign on the wall and I smiled with relief. I walked up to the bar and leaned over.

"Can I help you?" A familiar voice asked. The boy turned around and I recognized him immediatley. "Oh, hi Elena."

"I'm not Elena." I said for what seemed like the 4587682'th time.

"Oh right." He smiled. "Yeah, Elena explained all that to me. Your her sister, right? Nina?"

"That's me." I nodded. "You're...Matt, right?"

"The one and only." He said, holding out a hand. I shook it and then dropped it after around 2 seconds, not sure why I was even counting.

"So what can I do for you, Nina?" Matt offered.

"I was actually looking to get a job." I replied. "I noticed the 'help wanted' sign and thought that I could be the help...that you wanted."

"I'm sorry. We just gave the job to this other guy." Matt admitted. "But...maybe you could help in some other way?"

I noticed the flirt in his tone.

"Aren't you with Caroline?" I asked, smoldering a little.

Matt shrugged. "We called things off last night. Turns out, I don't belong in her world. Literally." From what Matt said, I almost guessed that she told him about her vampire situation. I nodded, not going to ask if that were the reason. Then I smiled.

"Well, still. Your my sisters ex, and my friends ex." I pointed out. 

"So?" Matt asked. "Your cute, you seem nice and from what I've heard from Elena, you just broke up with Tyler Lockwood."

I shuddered at his name.

"Yeah. Do you know him?"

"He used to go to my school." He explained. "Then his friend Jules and his Uncle Mason came along and he went off with them."

That reminded me, poor Mason. "Oh right. Well, yeah we broke up a few weeks ago. Wasn't working out."

"So does that mean that you'd be willing to go on a date with me?" He asked, ruffling his blond hair. I giggled.