{25}

Niall

"I don't know what you want me to do." Daniel said dramatically. Harry and I both sighed, running our hands through our hair, something we both did when we were stressed.

"I mean, there's gotta be something." I begged.

"I'm sorry you guys, there isn't. The system is fucked up, I know. But unless you have an actual incident with evidence, I can't get you a restraining order. And from what I've heard that wouldn't make a difference because apparently he can get someone else to do his dirty work for him." Daniel said. I looked over at Harry and shook my head with another sigh.

"So... what you're saying is if he harasses us... we can get a restraining order?"

"If it's bad enough, you can get him in jail." Daniel shrugged.

"Look buddy, I don't think you understand that our kids are in danger here. I will not sit around and wait for this fucker to attack my kids just so we can put his ass in jail. I want something done before he hurts my fucking kids!" Harry screamed. I grabbed his shoulders and rubbed them, calming him down.

"Harry, relax. He's doing everything he can." I whispered.

"I really am sorry, Harry. You can notify the police and file a report but they can't just arrest him on your word." Daniel explained. Harry nodded before standing up and excusing himself. "I'm going to step outside for a minuet." He said.

"Okay." Daniel and I spoke.

When Harry left the room I looked at Daniel who was staring me down; I couldn't figure out what he was thinking.

"I am trying." He finally mumbled.

"I know you are." I nodded.

"But there's only so much I can do as a lawyer, Niall. I'm not a cop." He said.

"Yeah, I know." I mumbled.

"Maybe you should have married a cop, yeah? With all the drama in your life it would make sense to-"

"Excuse me? I am happy with my husband. I don't care if we lost our house, I don't care about all the drama. We are happy, we are in love and that's all that matters." I snapped.

"Whoa, chill out, Niall. It was a joke."

"Yeah well I'm not in the mood for your jokes, Daniel."

"When are you ever in the mood?"

"What is that suppose to mean?" I snapped again.

"You only ever come to see me or talk to me when you need something from me. And for the most part, I do it for free."

"You're our lawyer." I said.

"I'm your ex, Niall. I'm not your lawyer, you just come to me when ever you get stuck knee deep in shit because you know I'll get you out of it and I won't even hesitate to do so."

"Why do you do it then if it's such a burden?"

"Because I love you, Niall." Daniel said like it was obvious.

"But- You're married, and I'm married."

"I'm not saying I love you like that, no. But you were a massive part of my life, Niall. I love everything about you, but more in the same way I love my cousin. You know what I mean?"

"Yeah, I get it." I nodded. I felt bad that I couldn't even say I loved Daniel in the way I loved my cousins anymore. I use to love him like I loved Harry, then I loved him like I loved my cousin or something... now I just like him like an aquatints.