Chapter Nineteen

When they broke apart, John and Karkat were smiling... but Dave had a sudden look of pain in his eyes. He rubbed the back of his neck nervously as he mumbled.

"Listen... guys... I was hoping... that you could help me with Jade." Dave's shoulders drooped, knowing that he didn't have any excuses. Unlike John, he was wide awake. He knew what he was doing. 

Karkat's mouth twisted into it's usual frown, his freckles bright on his pale face. "I don't know, Dave. You of all people know that Jade might not forgive you easily, if at all."

Dave sighed heavily, the pain raw in his voice. "I know."

John's blue eyes flashed with hope when he added, "Just remember that Jade loves you- and you love her back. If you really care that much, you two should be able to survive anything."

"Even kissing my best friend?"

"Even that, Dave. You just can't give up hope."

Dave straightened his spine, sudden strength evident in his limbs. "Okay. Let's go."

"Do you want us to come with you?" Karkat asked cautiously. "Or talk to her?"

He looked at them nervously as he said, "Can you walk with me? I'll talk to her alone, though. I just need her to listen."

Karkat and John nodded. So, with his friends behind him, Dave set out to make things right.