•« Nobody can cure my sickness »•

Avery's Point Of View

"Leukaemia?" Luke repeats in shock. Ashton only looks at me as if he just saw a ghost. "Yeah, she had cancer," I say after clearing my throat. "It's a while ago, and she survived. I don't know, it's just..." I don't know what to say. A lump is in my throat when I think about it and all I want is to just disappear now.

"That's must've been horrible for you all," Luke says. "It was an awful period of time, yeah," I say while shrugging. "But let's make it comfortable for her," we get some blankets and shit like that to warm her up. Jesus, she's freezing cold. No wonder she just fainted, being this cold would make me pass out as well.

It's all the other symptoms that tell me it's not just a cold, but also the Leukaemia. Her mother was so worried about her, she kept asking me through text if Juliette was okay... I wish I could tell her what just happened.

"So she had cancer," Ashton says when we're all calmed down a bit. Juliette is sleeping now, and we're sitting around the fire. Ashton and Aiden immediately stopped fighting and they haven't said a thing to each other since. Ashton's been doing anything to help me with Juliette while Aiden just sits in a corner and hugs his knees. If you'd ask me who I'd prefer to be with Jules... I'd say Ashton. He's shown much more respect in these past days than Aiden. Aiden tried to kiss her against her will, calls himself her boyfriend while he isn't and he's just being a dick. Ashton's actually helping me, which is nice.

"Yeah, it began when she was sixteen. We were at school, at PE. We had to run laps and stuff like that when I noticed her becoming really pale, like now," I say while glancing at the sleeping girl. "She said she felt fine, but her facial expression told me otherwise. I honestly didn't know what to do. Did I have to tell the teacher? Or would I just let it be? I honestly thought she just had a fever or something like that.

It was when she suddenly collapsed that I realized something was wrong, really wrong. I ran to her and she didn't respond at first. Then she woke up and acted like nothing happened while she just fainted. We called a doctor and her parents, the doctor sent her to the hospital and the hospital ran some tests.

I was devastated when I heard what was going on. I was sitting in Juliette's room, just hanging out like we always did when she said she needed to tell me something," I think back about that day.

"Ave? I really have to tell you something," she said. I smiled and plopped down on her bed. "What's up?" I asked her bubbly. When I saw the serious look on her face, I knew something was wrong. She looked at me and suddenly I saw small tears fill her eyes.

"I just got back the blood results from the doctor," she told me. "And they're not good," I looked at her, not understanding what she could possibly be talking about. "What's it?" You ask. "Isn't this a good thing? It's good that you know what it is, right?" I guess I was just trying to push every thought I was having, away. I didn't want to know what kind of horrible thing was going on.

"It's not good," Juliette mumbled. "I have cancer," at first I thought I hadn't understood her right. "Excuse me?" I asked her. "I have cancer Avery, Leukaemia," my world fell apart at that moment. I had a grandmother who died from cancer, everyone I knew who suffered from the horrible disease was either dying or already not with us anymore. Juliette couldn't have it, she was way too young. This couldn't be the reality, I couldn't really be losing my best friend.

I know it was a bad thing to think, since she survived. She beat it, but how could I have known? At that point I was almost sure that everyone with cancer was going to die. I couldn't live without her. We have been friends for such a long time and I wasn't planning on giving that up.