CHAPTER TEN

I walked in Mariel's office and found her smoking. I frowned and walk to her. She called for me and I'll find her smoking?

"Stop that," I said while glaring at her.

She turned her gaze at me and threw off her cigarette.

"Sit down. There's something I want you to do," she said and settled on her seat.

I sighed and sat down on the visitor's chair. I'm always curious whenever she's asking a favor on me. She the kind who don't ask favors from others.

"What is it?" I ask her.

"JAM threatened me," she said while staring at my eyes.

I gritted my teeth and stood up. I will not let anything happen to Mariel.

"But I know she can't do her threat," she said with hint of a smile on her face.

"What?" I asked, appalled.

She smiled and shook her head.

"Don't let her win. Make her realize that the heart is the key of freedom and acceptance," she said meaningfully.

I opened my mouth to answer but I failed to choke out words I should be saying. Mariel hold my hand and sighed. "Stop being immature about this. You are the only person who can stop this."

I was alarmed when I saw her cry. Her eyes are telling me that she knows something. She knows something very important but she isn't planning on telling me anything.

"Do you... know anything?" I asked finally which took her aback.

She turn her eyes away from me and said, "I-I cant tell you. I don't want to hurt you more."

"And you're saying I shouldn't be immature about these things?! You know something, yet, you're not going to tell me. Are you that afraid of JAM?" I burst out and glared at her.

She only shook her head and stood up. She walk past me when the door open, showing JAM pointing a gun at Mariel which alarmed me.

"Stop meddling. If you'll not stop, I'll start doubting in letting your family alone," JAM hissed.

I walk towards them when Mariel spoke up, "I know... and I'm grateful for that. Still, Maki is my brother, and I know you can't shoot me..."

I was puzzled when Mariel whispered something to JAM. JAM trembled and glared at Mariel. My eyes widen when JAM suddenly collapsed on Mariel and blood spread on her dress.

"Oh my gosh! Call an ambulance! Maki!" I heard Mariel shout but everything seems oblivious for me when I noticed something on JAM's shoulder blade.