Girl Meets Boy.

Emily's POV

Maya, Riley and I are standing near the lockers when Lucas goes to sit down nearby.

The bell rings. "Talk to him." I say to Riley.

"Why? We have a great text relationship." I roll my eyes at Riley's response.

"You know what's a better text relationship?" Maya asks her.

"What?" Riley asks her.

"Talk to him." Maya says to Riley.

"He's right over there." I say to her.

"Noooo! Too complicated over there. Lots can go wrong over there. The only thing that can go wrong over here is if I go over there." Riley explains. I raise my eyebrows.

Maya and I point Riley in Lucas' direction, and she walks over.

Riley attempts to say "Hi" several times, but only mouths it. I shake my head and sigh.

Maya mouths "Talk to him"

Riley sniffs Lucas' neck and goes back to Maya and I. "How'd I do?" She asks us.

"You smelled him." I say.

"Yup." Riley says.

"You smelled him is what you did." Maya says.

"I walk through life, the way I walk through life." She says.

"Can we please talk about this? Riley texts Maya and, then we receive the text.

"Nope." Maya and I say in unison.

In class, Mr. Matthews is holding a cell phone. "You guys don't connect with each other. It's like you can't exist without these. You use emoticons rather than emotions. You're an unfeeling generation of zombies." Riley, Maya and I start mimicking zombies. "Stop eating her. You're late, Miss Myzell." He says as Myzell walks in.

"My goldfish died." She says flatly.

"You see? This is what I'm talking about. Miss Myzell has clearly suffered a tragic loss. Yet, she does not seem in touch with her actual emotions!" Mr. Matthews

"Excuse me? I am crying my eyes out. I'm gonna have to leave class early." She says flatly then exits.

"Oh, she actually made it out the door this time. Mr. Matthews opens the door.

Myzell appears in the doorway. "I actually made it out the door this time!" She goes and sits in her seat.

"Dad, adjust and deal. Cell phones have been around for, like, ever." Riley says to her father. 

"It'll amaze you to know that there was a whole world before you and cell phones." He says.

"And it'll amaze you to know that I have 394 friends in here." She says then taps her cell phone screen.

"And I'm amazed that you believe that." He draws a line across the chalkboard. "This is a timeline of all human existence. Starting here," Points at the start of the timeline "is everyone who ever lived, laughed, loved, and understood the value of life. The cellphone era, which begins right around here," He draws a line almost at the end of the timeline. "pretty much destroys all of that. Way to go, you." He says.

Lucas raises his hand. "Sir, if I may take a different position?"

"Yeah, save me, Mr. Friar. Do I go too far?" Mr. Matthews says. 

"Always, sir. I understand your point, but I use my phone to video chat my old friends and to find out what's going on in Texas." Lucas says.

"Yeah. How else can he keep tabs on all the hoedowns? "I ask with a smirk on my face.